Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:18 am 

Hi all. So I have a weird issue. Now, when I kick on my pedals I am getting a very noticeable level boost making it difficult to kick on and then bypass while playing. This was not happening two weeks ago when I was last at practice. They are all BYOC pedals (that's all I have on my board - but I do not believe this is the issue). I have these same pedals at home and do NOT have this issue. I do NOT notice it with my pedals that are plugged in my Super 8 Looper. My setup is this:

Tuner > Mimosa Jr. (I always have this on) > Li'l Orange Phaser > Super 8 (Large Beaver Ram's Head & Triangle, Si ESV Fuzz, Brown Face Tremolo, BOSS Acoustic Sim) > Crown Jewel > Mega Chorus & Vibrato > Analog Delay > Digital Echo & Ping Pong > 27V Boost > Spring Reverb > BOSS Volume Pedal.

If I hit any of these pedals I get the boost. Even if I bypass all other pedals. I actually unplugged ALL pedals but the Analog Delay and still got the level boost. I also plugged directly into the Analog Pedal and directly into the amp. Even the Crown Jewel is louder but I can adjust for that. You can't with the Delay and Chorus pedals.

I have no idea what is going on AND this was not happening two weeks ago. I assure you I've changed nothing on the board (it stays set up at my practice space).

Also, for grins, I changed my tuner (Peterson StroboStomp HD) from true bypass to buffer - it made no difference.

Tried different guitars and different amps as well.

Does anyone have any advice or anything else I can trouble shoot. I unplugged everything and am just hoping that tomorrow when I plug everything back in it will be working normally.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:35 am 

I think the relevant question is "What changed?" Did you make any changes to your signal chain (cables included), no matter how minor they seem? Did you change the surrounding conditions in the room in some way? Physically move something? Remove or add another electronic device from the same outlet or electrical circuit that your rig is plugged into? Are you plugged into a PA system that may have been altered in some way? Did a bandmate make some kind of change in their set-up that could influence your rig? These are the kinds of questions I'd be asking myself in your position.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I think the relevant question is "What changed?" Did you make any changes to your signal chain (cables included), no matter how minor they seem? Did you change the surrounding conditions in the room in some way? Physically move something? Remove or add another electronic device from the same outlet or electrical circuit that your rig is plugged into? Are you plugged into a PA system that may have been altered in some way? Did a bandmate make some kind of change in their set-up that could influence your rig? These are the kinds of questions I'd be asking myself in your position.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yep. Everything you asked makes sense. But, nothing has changed at all. No one has been in the space since our last practice. The only thing that did change was that I added a MOD Reverb amp (The Wave). That was the first thing we (me and my brother) took out of the mix when we heard it happening. I just run through my amp and a cab - PA is only for vocals, some direct bass, and kick drum. We tried it with different amps, etc., with the same results.

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something. I thought maybe the pedals are getting more power. But, would that cause a volume change? I'm using a power brick so all the pedals are daisy chained. The only thing I haven't tried is popping off a pedal (they are zipped tied to a Holeyboard pedal board) and putting a battery in it. Which I will do tomorrow if the problem persists. I'll let you know how that goes...