Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:38 am 

I'm currently building a Silver Pony II, and while this isn't my first BYOC build, I feel like I'm still ignorant to some of the basics.

When I bought the kit, most of the LED colors seemed to be out of stock for some reason, but it wasn't a big enough deal to wait some indeterminate amount of time. Now I'm finishing up, but I've also got a bunch of other assorted LEDs from over the years, and just buying extra. Again, feel like I should know this, but I just want to triple-check. To be fully clear, I'm talking about the switch/indicator LEDs, not the LEDs in the gain section of the Silver Pony.

Are the LED that came with the kit (or, likely, any basic LEDs) swappable? That is, can I just swap in other diffused LEDs? Clear transparent LEDs? Do these all roughly have the same basic values and/or some just draw a little more or less?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:55 am 

You can use pretty much any LED for the indicator LED. The clear ones are brighter than the diffused ones, so you may want to change the CLR (current limiting resistor) from 4.7k to 10k or 15k. Other than color or brightness, there should be no effect on the pedal's function.

Changing out the clipping LEDs can have some effect on tone, in case you ever have a situation where you're considering that.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:15 am 
Site Admin

sjaustin wrote:
You can use pretty much any LED for the indicator LED. The clear ones are brighter than the diffused ones, so you may want to change the CLR (current limiting resistor) from 4.7k to 10k or 15k. Other than color or brightness, there should be no effect on the pedal's function.

Changing out the clipping LEDs can have some effect on tone, in case you ever have a situation where you're considering that.

Exactly. If all you're using the LED for is an on/off status light, then it makes absolutely no difference. You can use clear or diffused. 5mm. 3mm. 10mm. Any color you want.

Now, if you're using an LED as a clipping device, or in a photocoupler and its forward voltage and lumens is an important factor, then yes. You'd want to put a little more consideration into what type of LED you use. But if it's just an on/off status light, your primary concern is purely aesthetic, i.e. does the color of the LED match the color of the knobs?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:36 am 

Awesome. Thanks both for the info!