Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:54 pm 

Hi all - I am just about complete with my BYOC Envelope Filter, mostly waiting to finish up on the enclosure.

Question to those who have completed and used one of these - can you suggest good ballpark initial settings for the controls? I will use it mostly for the auto-wah feature, so can leave MANUAL knob and env <-->man switch out of the discussion.

Just want minimally functional and pleasing initial settings so I can experiment from there. A lot of pedal kits come with some suggestions, which really helps to dial in the sound when unfamiliar and I'm not sure how the variables interact.

Thanks!

Adam

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am 
Site Admin

IMHO, it's less dependent on where you have the knobs set and more dependent on your guitar. What kind of guitar? What kind of pickups? Which pick up position? Do you have any effects on in front of the envelope filter like a compressor or boost? Because these factors all affect the envelop trigger.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 11:26 am 

byoc wrote:
IMHO, it's less dependent on where you have the knobs set and more dependent on your guitar. What kind of guitar? What kind of pickups? Which pick up position? Do you have any effects on in front of the envelope filter like a compressor or boost? Because these factors all affect the envelop trigger.

Hi there - thanks, that makes sense. For this discussion, it is a custom piece with S-H-H. I almost always have it set to the middle pickup, occasionally bridge. Both are DiMarzio super-2s. Neck pickup is SDS1 .Volume and tone knobs both maxed. The idea is the envelope filter will be the first thing in the chain, perhaps after my peterson tuner. After that will be compressor then boost/OD.

So guitar --> tuner -> envelope --> compressor --> od/boost --> amp.

Not stuck on that pedal order, but it makes sense to me until i have time to play with it.

So with that info, would that inform where i might set my controls to get a ballpark I can use as a sort of baseline?
Thanks!