Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:52 pm 

From what I understand, earlier RS pedals used a 741 metal can opamp and later ones used a 4558 chip. Some people like the 741 can more, but I think this clone of the 4558 chip version sounds amazing:

Later pedals also went from germanium to silicon diodes, which gave the later models a harsher sound, which could be useful for some heavier music styles.

So, a Ross Distortion pedal with a switch to toggle the 741 and 4558 chips, and another toggle to switch between silicon and germanium diodes would encompass all the sounds of the different versions.

And, of course, all the modern quality improvements that aren't in the original pedals:

LED
BOSS-style 9v power connector
true bypass

Component and circuit-wise, it's a simple pedal and would be good for beginners. Sound-wise, it's a great pedal and would be pretty versatile to have all the versions in one box. The original ones can run $130 - $250, without having the ability to be all of the versions in one box.

Here's a mod someone did to give their later-model Ross Distortion a switch to go between silicon and germanium transistors: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/inde ... ic=14519.0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 am 

Cool idea. I've never heard the original. It does sound pretty rad!

The diode toggle would be easy, but I'm guessing the op amp toggle would be difficult or impossible. I doubt it would have a huge impact on the tone, though.

PS: Edited your post to have the video embedded for lazy folk like me. :wink:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:49 am 

The opamp toggle would be possible, but it's more involved than just adding a switch. You'll need to duplicate the entire opamp section(s) of the two circuits, including any bias network and tone-shaping parts, so that each "block" has a single audio input and output terminal. Then a DPDT toggle could be used to swap opamp "blocks". If you can choose two schematics (one with 4558 and 1 with 741), I can show you where to put in the switch and block network. Will be a bit of a pain, but certainly possible. Plan on using perf/vero or having a custom PCB etched/fabbed for this one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:55 pm 

Another idea, though its feasibility I'm unaware of, is to make a pedal that combines the MXR Distortion+, the Ross Distortion, and the DOD 250 (grey version), since they're reportedly all almost identical to each other. For example, have them toggle-able with a 3-way switch. And then to have an additional switch for the Ross Distortion's diodes.

I guess it would be sort of like the BYOC OD2 in this regard.

So, one 3-way switch would choose between:

Distortion+
DOD 250 (grey edition)
Ross Distortion

And then another switch would select between diodes for the Ross Distortion.

sjaustin wrote:
Cool idea. I've never heard the original. It does sound pretty rad!

The diode toggle would be easy, but I'm guessing the op amp toggle would be difficult or impossible. I doubt it would have a huge impact on the tone, though.

PS: Edited your post to have the video embedded for lazy folk like me. :wink:

Thanks for making it a video!

It does sound great. I also listened to the 741 version, and I kind of like the 4558 more, but it's more challenging to find sound demos of the 741 version.