Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:21 pm 

Hi
I've built 2 stock Reverbs (with the Belton 2H short module), and I'd like to build the new one.
If I understand correctly it uses the Belton 3H which has adjustable dwell-time?
So it's like a combination of the previous 2H - short-normal-long versions in one?

I'm asking this because I'd like to add the possibility of making this pedal also useful in the ambient or postrock genre, with lots of long cavernous dark reverbs. In my novice opinion, I think this means: longer reverb time and darker reverb sound?

Any mods you guys can think of? Can I add a tone-pot somewhere to control the EQ from the wet signal? So I can choose between dark and bright reverb sounds? Or is the Little Reverb more suitable for this?

If anyone knows the TC Electronics Trinity (essentially a Hall of Fame but with sounds made by Andy from PGS). The 'helicopter' sound of the Ethereal 2 preset is kinda cool :-)

Best regards
Tom

Last edited by Tom on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:08 pm 

Hmm.
Maybe it was a bizar question or maybe the answer's obvious :-)
But I'm still wondering if I can't install a "dark/bright" switch somewhere for the spring reverb wet sound.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:47 pm 
Site Admin

In the newest version of the reverb with the BTDR-3 module, there is a low pass filter. You could put it on a on-off-on SPDT toggle so that it's stock for normal, removed for bright, and a larger value for dark.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:53 pm 

Thanks Keith,
Is it the .01 C3 ? And if so what would be a good choice for 'dark' to start with?
(sorry... still learning :? )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Tom wrote:
Thanks Keith,
Is it the .01 C3 ? And if so what would be a good choice for 'dark' to start with?
(sorry... still learning :? )

Yes, that's the cap. R6 and R5 share C3 to form a low pass filter. Making C3 larger will cut more highs. Making it smaller will cut less. Removing it all together will make it as bright as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:35 pm 

Ok
I finally got to finishing this build. I used a mini ON-ON SPDT switch. And wired up two sockets so i can try out different cap values. So far, I kind of like the 'no cap' versus '.1 cap' as bright-dark switch. But I haven't tried with a decent amp.

Another question: How can I take advantage of the full range of decay (the longest possible) of the Belton BTDR-3?
Do I change the value of the dual pot? Or do I need to add a 'short' - 'long' switch somewhere?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Tom wrote:
Ok
I finally got to finishing this build. I used a mini ON-ON SPDT switch. And wired up two sockets so i can try out different cap values. So far, I kind of like the 'no cap' versus '.1 cap' as bright-dark switch. But I haven't tried with a decent amp.

Another question: How can I take advantage of the full range of decay (the longest possible) of the Belton BTDR-3?
Do I change the value of the dual pot? Or do I need to add a 'short' - 'long' switch somewhere?

Thanks!

Increasing the resistance seems to make the decay longer. I don't know what happens if you go more than 10k. You can try replacing the decay pots with larger values.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:41 pm 

Thanks Keith
I've been thinking about your answer (and I might be totally wrong), but could I add 2 resistors in series with the 10k dual pot (1 for each)? Either between 7-9 (or 8-10?) and the corresponding lug of the pot?
I could add a DPDT on-on switch, so i could switch between normal 10k value or a longer (higher) one?

Or, I'm probably missing something :-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Tom wrote:
Thanks Keith
I've been thinking about your answer (and I might be totally wrong), but could I add 2 resistors in series with the 10k dual pot (1 for each)? Either between 7-9 (or 8-10?) and the corresponding lug of the pot?
I could add a DPDT on-on switch, so i could switch between normal 10k value or a longer (higher) one?

Or, I'm probably missing something :-)

Yes, you could do that. That's quite brilliant actually - long and short modes - assuming that you can extrapolate longer decay times out of the BDTR-3. If it's anything like the PT2399 delay chip, you can squeeze much much longer delay times out of it than is recommended. It too, uses resistance to determine the delay time, and to get longer delay times, you simply use a larger value pot. However, at a certain point, the repeats start to deteriorate and it starts adding all kinds of weird background noises.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:48 am 

Thanks Keith.
:D