Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 am 

I really dig the overall functionality of the Echo Royal, but what keeps me from really using this delay is that the repeats signal degrades too much and too unpleasantly when the delay time is set for longer periods. And it's not the pleasant type of degrading that a BBD chip creates (I own many analog delays and love that sound). The Echo Royal repeats just start sounding muffled with some his.

Apparently, this is a know limitation of PT2399 chips... according to DIYAudioCircuits.comhttp://www.diyaudiocircuits.com/tutorials/pt2399-digital-delay-analog-echo/:

"The internal memory is limited to 44K, which overall limits the quality of the repeats at certain settings. The quality of the IC’s output noticeably degrades."

Has anyone done any mods to fix this? Looking around some other message boards it seems like there may be ways to rectify this issue with PT2399 chips, however unfortunately my engineering expertise end with following BYOC's instructions :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

There's not much you can do aside from putting more PT2399 in series. We've already added the compander circuit which reduces the weird background noises that you get with exceeding the recommended delay time. If you want the repeats to sound less muffled, you can change some of our low pass filter cap choices so that less treble gets cut off with each repeat. That filtering is there primarily to make it sound more "analog". It's not using a high frequency clock driver, so the filtering isn't really necessary. So if you feel like the tone is too dark or the repeats darken too quickly, you could change that, but there's nothing you can do to improve the integrity of the repeats at extreme delay times.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:32 am 

byoc, you mentioned allowing more treble through by changing the caps, which caps are the low pass filter caps, and what would you recommend changing them to, to add a little more treble

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 am 
Site Admin

C39 and 40, and C45 and 46. But mostly C51 and 56. Make those values smaller to reduce the amount of high cut.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm 

I lowered the values in C51 and C56 and am happy with the results. It's a subtle difference but noticeable to my ears.