Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:23 pm 

Shouting out to anyone in the California Central Valley (Fresno/Clovis) area... Are there any electrical supply stores in the area (I am relatively new here) that sell the small parts used in these types of pedals. I have recently started 'modding' a few of my pedals and I haven't been able to locate anyone in the area that sells such parts. I am currently ordering these parts from on-line vendors but it's hard to justify paying $3-$5.00 in shipping charges for a couple of dollars worth of parts. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
-=SteveO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:14 pm 

If California is anything like New York, your options will be limited. When I started in this hobby, you could still go to Radio Shack—it was pathetic, but it existed. And we had two privately owned electronics shops in Rochester. One bit the dust a few years back, and the other one couldn't make it through the tariff war plus Covid.

I would strongly recommend buying a bunch of key parts in bulk. You're definitely far enough into this that you'll use the stuff. Small Bear has some great options in their Parts Kits section. I got these a handful at a time and now just keep a running note on my phone of stuff I'm running low on so I can reorder in a cost effective way. These parts are way cheaper when bought in bulk.

You may have noticed that certain values are much more common than others. Multiples of 10, 22, 47, 68, etc. This means that you can get a pretty useable stockpile as a hobbyist without having to get every single value. The Small Bear kits are a good reference point, even if you want to source them somewhere else. Like Mouser. (You can tell I am still an electronics hack by the fact that I still won't order from them unless someone provides the part numbers!)

Good luck!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:02 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
If California is anything like New York, your options will be limited. When I started in this hobby, you could still go to Radio Shack—it was pathetic, but it existed. And we had two privately owned electronics shops in Rochester. One bit the dust a few years back, and the other one couldn't make it through the tariff war plus Covid.

I would strongly recommend buying a bunch of key parts in bulk. You're definitely far enough into this that you'll use the stuff. Small Bear has some great options in their Parts Kits section. I got these a handful at a time and now just keep a running note on my phone of stuff I'm running low on so I can reorder in a cost effective way. These parts are way cheaper when bought in bulk.

You may have noticed that certain values are much more common than others. Multiples of 10, 22, 47, 68, etc. This means that you can get a pretty useable stockpile as a hobbyist without having to get every single value. The Small Bear kits are a good reference point, even if you want to source them somewhere else. Like Mouser. (You can tell I am still an electronics hack by the fact that I still won't order from them unless someone provides the part numbers!)

Good luck!

Yeah, I have looked on Mouser's web site. Totally lost! I have recently picked up a few things from Small Bear but haven't explored his web site very much. I was not aware of their parts kits but will definitely have a look see. As always, thank you!

-=Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:12 pm 

If you find Mouser's huge selection of parts to be overwhelming, here's a tip: Use the parts list on pedal projects from places like Aion FX to identify Mouse part numbers for the components used. Here's an example, a link to the Mouser parts list for their Maxon OD-820 Overdrive project--they sell the PCB and provide the bill of materials you'll need to build the pedal:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This will give you an excellent idea of how to order resistors, capacitors, semiconductors (diodes, IC's, transistors, etc.) and hardware items from Mouser. They use a part numbering system where the component value is just the last few characters of the text string. For example, a 100 Kohm 1/4W metal film resistor is part # 603-MFR-25FBF52-100K. The same resistor in a 220 ohm rating is 603-MFR-25FBF52-220R. Take a look through a few of these Aion project parts lists and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. And if you happen to be handy with EXCEL, you can use that to build your parts list and then upload it to Mouser to create your order. They have plenty of online info & help to get you through the process.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:19 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
If you find Mouser's huge selection of parts to be overwhelming, here's a tip: Use the parts list on pedal projects from places like Aion FX to identify Mouse part numbers for the components used. Here's an example, a link to the Mouser parts list for their Maxon OD-820 Overdrive project--they sell the PCB and provide the bill of materials you'll need to build the pedal:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This will give you an excellent idea of how to order resistors, capacitors, semiconductors (diodes, IC's, transistors, etc.) and hardware items from Mouser. They use a part numbering system where the component value is just the last few characters of the text string. For example, a 100 Kohm 1/4W metal film resistor is part # 603-MFR-25FBF52-100K. The same resistor in a 220 ohm rating is 603-MFR-25FBF52-220R. Take a look through a few of these Aion project parts lists and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. And if you happen to be handy with EXCEL, you can use that to build your parts list and then upload it to Mouser to create your order. They have plenty of online info & help to get you through the process.

Wow! Great info. Thanks Bob! That will definitely make it easier navigating Mouser's inventory.
-=Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:55 am 

I found a very good source for parts out here on the west coast. Jameco Electronics (https://www.jameco.com/). There stock of resistors, diodes, transistors etc. is excellent. They are located in the San Francisco bay area. I just placed an order with them this morning so I'll report back after I receive the order.

-=SteveO