Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Best smd parts?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm 

So I have been getting deeper into smd. I was looking to build a smd optical compressor. I just don't know what optocoupler to use. Does anyone have a particular one or seller you can point me in the direction of? While we're on the topic, I was also looking at smd 1N4001's and having the same issue. Also having trouble with Eagle schematics as I don't know what package to use. It was easy when I was only using resistors and caps. Maybe I'll just stick with through hole for that sort of stuff for now. Anyone have any input would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

http://www.facebook.com/MalvinAudio

Post subject: Re: Best smd parts?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:27 pm 

I haven't had much luck with optocouplers myself. I've pretty much given up and will opt for through-hole components there. For 1N4001's I use DO-214AC package. You should find that in the "diode" library that comes with Eagle. You might also find times where you can't find a certain package but it turns out it is pretty much the same as another package with a different name. That's where the datasheets become necessity. Sometimes you just have to look at dimensions on a certain part and compare it the land patterns of different packages.

Getting used to the different package types can be a little intimidating at first. When I come across something I'm not sure of I usually search Mouser (or wherever you're gonna buy your parts) for the part I'm looking for and see what package is available. In most cases you'll find Eagle has the package you're looking for. In a few instances I've had to make my own. The Madbean library has some SMD stuff that comes in handy, too.

I think at this point I've used most parts relevant to pedal building. If you're stuck on something give me a PM. I may be able to help you out. If I can't we'll both learn something figuring it out. :D