Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm 

Hi everyone!
Before building this kit I'm already in the mood for some MODs!

So the LED to indicate compression MOD seems very cool, like on my EHX Black Finger, but as I have the 4 leads optocoupler, can I still do it? Can I connect the LED to the "closest" bottom leg of the VTL5C4?

Can I use a superbright LED for this?

thx!

EDIT: report of xperience below

Last edited by Sonik Stach on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm 

Sorry, I actually haven't tried it with the 4 lead optocoupler. I don't know if it is possible. I don't have any of the 4 leads so you will have to experiment with it and see what you can find.

I can't get enough minimalism.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:04 pm 

Ok I'll try and post results here, but the way I see it, I think it will have some influence to the audio circuit...

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 pm 

Maybe not the most adventurous advice, but I would say build it stock first and make sure it's working, then mod. Makes things a HELL of a lot easier to troubleshoot...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:09 pm 

Looks like it's not possible... :(
:arrow: The LED is doing a short circuit in the audio path, or it stays always on when connected to the other legs of the optocoupler.

It make sense with the 5 legs (dual element) device, as the second element is reacting to the signal the same way the first one does, but without doing anything to the audio path. With the 4 legs ones, we're messing with the audio by adding the LED, which's connected to the ground.

I've found this feature very handy in the EHX Black Finger: with low amount of compression you can see what you barely hear! But this big pedal is not pedalboard friendly, so I wanted the same feature with the opticomp.. maybe after doing the attack and release mods, I will buy a VTL5C4/2!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 am 

I did a little research on the 4 leg optocoupler and I decided that it wasn't going to work without that 5th leg.

Then I came hear and saw that you had already posted your last message. I should have checked here first I guess.

Anyway, I think you are right.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:34 pm 

Hi again!
Here's my experience with this Mod.
As you probably figured out, I bought a 5 legs VTL5C4/2 so I can do the Mod, it works BUT.... It has some influence on the audio path!! There's more gain when the led is connected, and with a fairly hot output guitar (Seymour Duncan SH4) some distortion can be heard when played hard. This is the same problem as described here: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25117 and I've tried 9 and 12V power.

My solution was adding a resistor between the optocoupler and the LED, and, it may seems silly, be carefull to choose where to solder the LED to the ground: soldering it on the output jack made things worse, on the pcb it sounds better. For the resistor I haven't a lot of values to try but 4.7K seems fine, almost no distortion and enough juice to light up the LED.

Off Topic: I've also tried a different IC, the OPA2604 and was disapointed: the sound is indeed clear but at the expense of the compression as the sensivity pot has no effect, as the attack switch.

thank you for reading!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:30 am 

Interesting. As I said, I have done this mod to a few opticomps, including 2 that I still have, and I have never had any distortion issues with any of them. I called a friend of mine who has one that I have done the mod on and he has never had any distortion issues either.

I play a PRS with a HFS Treble in the bridge which is a pretty hot pickup but I don't know what it's specs are since PRS won't post them for some reason.