Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 pm 

Hi - I recently finished my first kit from BYOC, an Echo Royal.

The dry signal is fine, the LED's light up and the Tap Tempo LED pulses. The effect output has issues. There is no effect and the signal is heavily attenuated. I saw a post about a a similar issue and it was bad PT2399 ICs. How can I go about testing them?

I need to disassemble the unit to take a rear picture. I double checked the solder joints before assembly, I don't think there are issues there.

Thank you for any help!

Attachment:
IMG_20190114_131313.jpg
IMG_20190114_131313.jpg [ 368.47 KiB | Viewed 3377 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 pm 

You could take some voltage readings, but first thing I’d do is swap them and see if anything changes. While you’re at it, you can check to see that all the ICs are seated firmly and evenly in their sockets.

We probably will want to see the solder side of your board if the problem persists, though…

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm 

Hi - welcome to the forum! :D

We can't stress this enough: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

Although your solder joints might look good to you, bad solder joints are not always visually obvious. Resoldering all solder joints OFTEN CURES NON-SPECIFIC PROBLEMS LIKE THIS. It is the first troubleshooting step most of us who have built many many pedals over many many years use. We highly recommend removing all of the chips from their sockets and resoldering all solder joints.

daWidge40 wrote:
The effect output has issues. There is no effect and the signal is heavily attenuated. I saw a post about a a similar issue and it was bad PT2399 ICs. How can I go about testing them?

The other post about a bad PT2399 is likely a red herring in your case. Attenuated output has nothing to do with the delay chips. The best tool for this is a BYOC SIGNAL TESTER to find out where the dry signal is being attenuated and where the wet signal path is being blocked. Do you have one?

If not, can you build an audio probe?

To test the PT2399 chips, you need to ensure they have 5 volts on pin 1, use a signal tester to make sure you have signal at the input, then listen for signal on the output.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Please tell me what exactly is written on the JFET transistors.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 am 

Thank you for the replies. I will follow the advice this weekend when I have time to work on the project again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:26 am 

Rookie mistake - I had a 4K7 resistor where a 10K was suppose to be. When I started I didn't realize that the "suggested" mods were included and the originals were left out of the kit. I should have sorted all the resistors before starting. I used an extra 4K7 I had. I should have know I had a problem at the end, since I had a left over 10K and not a left over 4K7. I found it, swapped it out and that was that.

It sounds amazing. Thanks for such a wonderful kit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:30 am 

Nice job! :D