Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:03 pm 

Hello! I'm still messing with the Echo Royal delay times and I think something is slightly off. It felt like the delay times were always slightly slower than the tapped tempo, no matter what the division. Recently, I realized that the Tap Tempo light is right on, but the actual repeats are noticeably behind the light. In fact, I can set a metronome and tap a tempo, and the light stays right on with the metronome, but the repeats are reliably slower. I can post a video if this would help explain. Everything else on the pedal works perfectly. The Tap Multiplier divides the beat as it should throughout its full range, and the Delay Time control works just fine. Tap tempo works as well. If I could just tap a tempo 10% faster than I need, it would be all set.

Any ideas? Could this be an IC thing? Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments:
Echo Royal Done.jpeg
Echo Royal Done.jpeg [ 447.67 KiB | Viewed 5388 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:14 pm 

I think that this would have to be a software issue, not something we can troubleshoot here. I suggest working directly with BYOC via email or phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

There's a number of things that could cause this.

One of more of your PT2399 chips might have a little more delay than is typical. This is probably the most likely cause. The 22ohm R43/44 resistors are limiting resistors. You could "speed up" the delay every so slightly by using a smaller value for these two resistors. Maybe a 10ohm resistor.

R42 has a small impact on the delay time. You could calibrate the delay time to go faster by using a smaller value resistor here as well.

R40 and R41 bias the modulation LFO. It sets the "center" of the modulation. If the center is too high, it would increase the delay time slightly. I can't see R41 in your photo, so verify that that is indeed a 15k resistor. If one of these resistors were significantly out of spec, that could have an effect on the delay time as well.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Morgan wrote:
I think that this would have to be a software issue, not something we can troubleshoot here. I suggest working directly with BYOC via email or phone.

If the tempo LED is synched, then the MCU is probably functioning correctly. It would most likely be a PT2399 with extra delay time, or a tolerance build up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:46 pm 

byoc wrote:
Morgan wrote:

If the tempo LED is synched, then the MCU is probably functioning correctly. It would most likely be a PT2399 with extra delay time, or a tolerance build up.

Oh - good point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 pm 

You guys are the best. Thanks for the quick and helpful response! I confirmed the surrounding resistors are correct. With these tiny 1/8W ones, I test each one as I'm building, so I know the tolerances are correct.

I'll try changing the resistors. Perhaps I can temporarily cram a second 22Ω in parallel with R43/44 from the component side and see if dropping the resistance at those points does the trick. Then at least I'll know if I'm close with 10-11Ω. If not, I'll order a new PT2399 and see if I can swap them around.

Thanks!! I'll follow up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:31 am 

Update: I finally had time to try the 10Ω resistors in R43/44. The delay chips seem very well calibrated, but the issue persists. I think it may be the MCU after all. At its max delay setting, the repeats are exactly 1.5 seconds, but the indicator LED flashes every 1.3 seconds. I can get a perfect quarter note delay now, but to get eighth note or higher division, I have to tap ahead of the beat by about a sixteenth or so (consistent at any tempo). The LED is always ahead no matter what. So, usable, but still not quite right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 pm 

Hello all. I recently built one of these and I have noticed a lag on my tempo as well. Has anyone found a solid fix for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Justin wrote:
Hello all. I recently built one of these and I have noticed a lag on my tempo as well. Has anyone found a solid fix for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

email sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a new MCU.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:20 pm 

Hi ... I just assembled a ECHO ROYAL .. all working fine except for tap tempo lag as mensioned above ??
My Kit is board version 1.0
batch # 100516
just purchased from http://www.effektpedaler.dk
Sincerely Rasmus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:37 pm 

rasmusfris wrote:
Hi ... I just assembled a ECHO ROYAL .. all working fine except for tap tempo lag as mensioned above ??

Same advice as above:

byoc wrote:
email sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a new MCU.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:46 am 

I will do so, .... thanks :D
Sincerely Rasmus