Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:18 pm 

Just fired up my new Analog Vibrato pedal that has been modded with the help of duhvoodooman and sjaustin but before I go into any specifics, I'd like to know if the delay and bias trim pots are located in there proper spots. The instructions were very clear as to which went where, I'm just not sure I deciphered their values properly.
Thank you, in advance, for your feedback.

-=SteveO

Attachments:
Analog Vibrato Rev 2.0 GutShot.jpg
Analog Vibrato Rev 2.0 GutShot.jpg [ 383.88 KiB | Viewed 1910 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm 

Yep, you got it right. The first two digits are the value, and the third digit is the multiplier. This is also true for capacitor codes, by the way.

474 = 47 + 4 zeroes, or 470,000, or 470k
203 = 20 + 3 zeroes, or 20,000, or 20k

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:31 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
Yep, you got it right. The first two digits are the value, and the third digit is the multiplier. This is also true for capacitor codes, by the way.

474 = 47 + 4 zeroes, or 470,000, or 470k
203 = 20 + 3 zeroes, or 20,000, or 20k

Thanks Scott. Good info regarding trim pot/capacitor coding! I guess I have a different issue then.

Symptoms:
LED works, by-pass works, ramp switch, foot switch, and control knobs all function as they should. However, when the pedal is engaged, there is a loud squealing noise that is present at all times.The squeal responds to the controls as well. When I engage the ramp on/off switch the squeal lowers in tone and then if I push the ramp foot switch the tone goes back up. I can hear the guitar through the amp okay and like I said, the pedal seems to do all that it is supposed to do, except that hideously loud, ever present squealing. I am using a new 'wall wart' style power supply that measures 9.45v when plugged in, for power. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:03 pm 

I seem to recall that I had to dial some sqealing out with the trimpots when I built mine. Did you do this?

Quote:
Setting the trimpots: When you are done with your build, and ready to use the pedal, you will use these to control the bias and delay time. Use your ear and your personal preference. The BIAS sets the ref for the opamps in the signal path. Start at the middle of the sweep, and move slightly in either direction until you get a clean signal. The DELAY control sets the amount of delay coming from the clock driver. You want to set this so that the vibrato sounds as full as possible without sounding too noisy.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Can you please describe your power supply? Brand? Model?

Have you tired a battery?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I seem to recall that I had to dial some sqealing out with the trimpots when I built mine. Did you do this?

Quote:
Setting the trimpots: When you are done with your build, and ready to use the pedal, you will use these to control the bias and delay time. Use your ear and your personal preference. The BIAS sets the ref for the opamps in the signal path. Start at the middle of the sweep, and move slightly in either direction until you get a clean signal. The DELAY control sets the amount of delay coming from the clock driver. You want to set this so that the vibrato sounds as full as possible without sounding too noisy.

I have not... I will give that a shot and let you know.
-=SteveO

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:11 pm 

byoc wrote:

I bought the power supply from lovemyswitches.com. I will install a fresh battery and try adjusting the trip pots like Scott suggested. I saw the adjustment procedure in the instructions but didn't put 2 and 2 together they might be related. Attached is a picture of said power supply.

-=SteveO

Attachments:
walwart.jpg
walwart.jpg [ 51.65 KiB | Viewed 1882 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:27 pm 

byoc wrote:

Ok, by powering up with a battery the pedal works like a charm. I did have to adjust the trim pots a little but other than that it works perfectly!

Once again, Thank you Scott and Keith for the speedy tech support. I will post pictures in the appropriate group after the 'photo shoot'.

-=SteveO

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm 

That's great to hear!

Send that power supply back to Lawrence at LMS. He'll refund you. Same thing happened to me when he first started carrying them. I forgot about it until you mentioned it. I've had pretty good luck with the Planet Waves/D'Addario 9v adapter. $10 on Amazon.

My band, Austin Hollow