Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:37 pm 

First off, thank you to anyone brave enough to gaze upon this hack job (it's my first build).

I'm getting bypass but sadly no LED or effect. I've reflowed a handful of joints and desoldered/resoldered a few things, but this seems to be doing more damage than good at this point.

Is my soldering really that bad? (the confidence builder came out ok and looks just as shoddy) Am I missing something glaring that y'all might notice? I've got a cheap multi-meter but not that much experience with it.

Open to any and all suggestions, thanks again for looking!

Attachments:
IMG_5660.jpg
IMG_5660.jpg [ 851.38 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]
IMG_5659.jpg
IMG_5659.jpg [ 785.8 KiB | Viewed 1349 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:26 am 

Are you sure that you are actually getting any power into the device? It looks like you omitted the DC adapter jack. I think it may be that that part is needed (or else a jumper installed) even if you only intend to run the pedal off a 9V battery. This would be a good time to get some experience with that multimeter!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 am 

WMP1 wrote:
I think it may be that that [the DC jack] is needed… even if you only intend to run the pedal off a 9V battery.

This is correct. I would bet that is your problem. True bypass is passive (requires no power), so it wouldn't be affected, but the effect mode and LED need that jack installed because it is part of the battery's power circuit.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:34 am 

sjaustin wrote:
True bypass is passive (requires no power), so it wouldn't be affected, but the effect mode and LED need that jack installed because it is part of the battery's power circuit.

^ This.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:19 pm 

Yes! That did the trick!!! Getting LED, repeats, the whole shebang, sounds great!

I missed the DC Adapter Jack drop down menu when I originally ordered the kit and had built everything before the power jack arrived. I figured I would install the power adapter once I got it running off a 9v battery (d'oh). Should've tried that first before resoldering a bunch of stuff, lol.

Thanks so much for the all the responses and for not shaming my abilities. Y'all have a great community here, really appreciate the help :D