Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:13 am 

Hey y’all,

First time ever building a pedal- bought the analog clone kit from BYOC…

So as a complete novice, I didn’t realize the different transistors related to the numbers on the board. I’ve only done 5 so far, I’m just curious if messing up those 5 means I’ve ruined my project. Also, maybe I’m color blind or something cuz I’m having a hard time distinguishing the resistors from each other.

I’ve attached photos for you, any help is greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:15 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

First off....no you didn't ruin your project. But just relax. Don't do anything else for the moment.

Do you have any sort of desoldering tools and do you know how to use them?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:51 pm 

Hey!

I do not, my experience with soldering is limited to things like speaker wire- first time doing anything of this nature. I went ahead and got a pointed tip soldering iron, as I figured I was using the wrong type.

Is it possible to reheat the solder and just take the ones I did out, reheat the solder again to insert the right ones?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm 

Several things:

• We generally need to see photos that are MUCH larger than that one to be able to assist you in troubleshooting a problem.
  • That said, I can see enough in that photo to tell you that you have not installed any transistors--those are RESISTORS that you've installed. Big difference. And fortunately much easier to remove than a transistor, which has three leads instead of two. (Your kit has 6 transistors, but you haven't gotten that far yet--see pg. 14 of the instructions.)
  • Do NOT rely on your eyesight to identify the resistors before installing them, especially if you are colorblind!!! Use a multimeter and measure their resistance before installing them. If you don't have one, BUY ONE--you can get a very serviceable meter for under $10 on Amazon or at your local Harbor Freight store, if you have one nearby. This is a basic and necessary tool for DIY electronics. For example: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-functio ... 63759.html
  • Speaking of tools, I'd strongly suggest that you also acquire a "solder sucker" and some good quality desoldering braid which will be of great help in removing components from the PCB and cleaning up the residual solder before installing the correct ones. Examples of each: https://www.amazon.com/WEmake-WM-SP4-So ... 0002KRAAG/ and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9VLA2/ These will make the desoldering process much easier and less likely to damage the PCB,
  • Question: Did you install the Rate pot already? I see solder in its mounting eyelets. If so, that should be removed and not installed until near the end of the build process (pp. 20 - 21). Looks like you may have solder in a couple of other eyelets in that area of the PCB which will need to be cleaned out before the components can be installed.

Also, if you haven't read some of the informational posts here on the forum, I'd suggest that you do so. They contain a ton of useful information, especially for the novice builder:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19168

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6692

And there are several more posted as "stickies" in this sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=9

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:37 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Several things:

• We generally need to see photos that are MUCH larger than that one to be able to assist you in troubleshooting a problem.
  • That said, I can see enough in that photo to tell you that you have not installed any transistors--those are RESISTORS that you've installed. Big difference. And fortunately much easier to remove than a transistor, which has three leads instead of two. (Your kit has 6 transistors, but you haven't gotten that far yet--see pg. 14 of the instructions.)
  • Do NOT rely on your eyesight to identify the resistors before installing them, especially if you are colorblind!!! Use a multimeter and measure their resistance before installing them. If you don't have one, BUY ONE--you can get a very serviceable meter for under $10 on Amazon or at your local Harbor Freight store, if you have one nearby. This is a basic and necessary tool for DIY electronics. For example: https://www.harborfreight.com/7-functio ... 63759.html
  • Speaking of tools, I'd strongly suggest that you also acquire a "solder sucker" and some good quality desoldering braid which will be of great help in removing components from the PCB and cleaning up the residual solder before installing the correct ones. Examples of each: https://www.amazon.com/WEmake-WM-SP4-So ... 0002KRAAG/ and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O9VLA2/ These will make the desoldering process much easier and less likely to damage the PCB,
  • Question: Did you install the Rate pot already? I see solder in its mounting eyelets. If so, that should be removed and not installed until near the end of the build process (pp. 20 - 21). Looks like you may have solder in a couple of other eyelets in that area of the PCB which will need to be cleaned out before the components can be installed.

Also, if you haven't read some of the informational posts here on the forum, I'd suggest that you do so. They contain a ton of useful information, especially for the novice builder:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19168

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6692

And there are several more posted as "stickies" in this sub-forum: viewforum.php?f=9

This is all very helpful, thank you!