Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:32 am 

Hi, I built the Echo Royal kit. The problem: no echo.
I can set the tap tempo, I can set the Bypass/trails on and off so that the led turns on and off, I can adjust the tap multiplier and from modulation and I can set the depth and rate so that I see from the led that it is working. I can change the delay time so that the it affects to the leds.
But no echo anywhere.

When amp is connected to the MIX output the Blend adjusts the volume so that lowers the it when turned clockwise, and when turned to fully clockwise the volume is the same as when I connect the amp to the DRY output.
Repeats pot does not affect to anything because there is no echo at all. Just clean sound.
I have earlier built Blue Overdrive, Analog Delay and Crown Jewel which all work really fine.
Any suggestions?

OK. I found one cold soldering from a IC socket. Now it seems to work. :D

Last edited by simo_ylonen on Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 pm 

Glad to hear you have resolved the problem. I'll mark this thread accordingly, but if the issue returns, be sure to post back here.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:14 am 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Glad to hear you have resolved the problem. I'll mark this thread accordingly, but if the issue returns, be sure to post back here.

Hi again.
Actually, now when I added it on my board and tried to use it like for real I noticed that the Bypass/Trails just affect to the LED. Nothing else happens. Echo is always on and I can adjust the modulation and delay time and they work. Also The Blend pot works ok, so that it goes from dry to wet. Tap tempo and the Tap multiplier seem also not doing anything. Tap tempo LED seems to react to change of the delay time.
I read from some other post that there might have been a batch of FETs that might be bad/broken. In my kit the FETs are (KG05) J111's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 am 
Site Admin

simo_ylonen wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:

Hi again.
Actually, now when I added it on my board and tried to use it like for real I noticed that the Bypass/Trails just affect to the LED. Nothing else happens. Echo is always on and I can adjust the modulation and delay time and they work. Also The Blend pot works ok, so that it goes from dry to wet. Tap tempo and the Tap multiplier seem also not doing anything. Tap tempo LED seems to react to change of the delay time.
I read from some other post that there might have been a batch of FETs that might be bad/broken. In my kit the FETs are (KG05) J111's.

Please contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a new set of J113 FETs.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:39 pm 

Hello,

Posting here to say I'm having the exact same issue as OP. Just finished the kit, exact same symptoms. Will pull it back apart and check for bad solders, but I think they are okay. Built El Distorto Segundo a couple weeks ago, no problems at all. Will report back after opening the case back up.

Edit: Whelp, I'm an idiot. I'm glad OP mentioned the bad solder joints on the socket, first thing I did was check all my chip installs and I found the 577 chipset installed backwards. Echo Royal now makes gloriously strange and weird noises, exactly as it is supposed to. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:10 am 

I got the new FETs from customs today and soldered them on the board. Now it seems to work ok.
Also the Bypass/Trails button is now working.

Thanks guys.

Regards
Simo