Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Please make sure the battery in your meter is still good.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:34 pm 

Okay - this is with a brand new battery and I'm still getting similar readings. R26, next to the chip, still reads around .2 (mV?) whether the pedal is on or bypassed; the diode is .2-.4 (mV) whether it's on or bypassed. And then on Q7 the two leads farthest from the diode consistenly read around 4; the lead closest to the diode reads around 32 when the pedal is on, and when it's off it seems like it slowly keeps dropping. It starts around 29 and then keeps slowly getting lower and lower.

Sorry this is ending up being so tricky - could it possibly be a bad part, or that I put the wrong resistor or something somewhere? I fully expect that it's something I did or didn't do b/c I'm not super experienced and this was a challenge for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:48 am 
Site Admin

It could certainly be a bad part. But the worst thing you can do is to start randomly replacing parts. Voltage readings can give us a more "educated guess" at which part might be bad. However, I'm just not convinced you are getting accurate readings.

When you say "32" and "29" are you saying 32 volts and 29 volts? Not 32 millivolts and 29 millivolts? Because 32 volts shouldn't be possible when the power supply should only be 9 volts. Even with a 32 volt power supply, the voltage to the MCU is regulated to 5V. And I'm assuming you mean 32 volts and not 32mV, because you are making the distinction between V and mV in your other readings.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:48 pm 

Hey there! Thanks so much for the reply. I’m guessing that all the readings are probably millivolts but I can double check to make sure. As I mentioned I don’t have a ton of experience so apologies if I might forget to clarify something like that :-) Do any of the readings sound like they might be accurate? The four millivolt readings on the JFET seem to be pretty consistent as well as the 34 on the outside lead. On the diode and resistor it seems to jump around quite a bit before settling on the .2 reading. I don’t know if you have any advice on getting the readings? I’ve been doing that same thing where I put the black lead where the threads for the screws are and then the red on the lead I’m trying to get a read on. Thanks again for your help and patience :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

FelicityFox wrote:
Okay - so the voltage on R26 and D4, those are all around .5, they fluctuate a tiny bit but mostly around there whether it's on or bypassed. On Q7 though, two of them read right around 4 and then one of the leads is something like 38? Is that possible? And then when it's bypassed that same lead is something like 34. Hopefully this gives you some useful info :-D

Unfortunately, your voltage readings don't help any. I guess you can try replacing Q7. I really don't like to swap parts without some sort of test to indicate that the part is faulty, but I really don't know what else to suggest. The fact that your pedal seems to be function in all aspects except for bypass suggests that the MCU is functioning correctly even though your voltage readings suggest otherwise. You can email sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a new tested J113.