Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:18 pm 

I just finished my first-ever BYOC pedal, and it was an amazing experience!! The pedal works 100% correctly and sounds like the most awesome chorus I have ever used!! Everything works as it's supposed to, but I do notice a bit of a signal boost when it is activated, and I was wondering if this is normal. I personally don't mind it, but I know the sound guys will probably complain. I get no distortion or bad signal, there is absolutely no noise from the pedal at any time. It is just like someone turns my volume up a hair when its on.
I am using only a new Duracell 9V battery (no power supply). Is there anything I can do to make the wet signal the same as my dry signal?
I am very new to wiring electronics so please explain this to me as if I drive in my car wearing a mask by myself (if you know what I mean) :roll:

Also, I am already planning my next builds!!! I can't believe I've never tried this before. This is so much fun.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

First we need to clarify something. You are referring to your bypass signal as "dry". "Dry" is something different'. When the pedal is engaged, the signal is split into dry uneffected signal and wet vibrato signal. The two are then mixed back together to create "chorus". R8 controls the dry volume level. R23 controls the wet volume level. Increasing the value of these will reduce their respective volume levels.

That being said, IMHO the CE-2 buffer is one of the best ever and I've never once heard anyone complain about unity gain issues. So I would recommend letting us take a look at some pics to make sure you don't have any resistors mixed up before changing anything.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:25 pm 

As it turns out, the battery in my guitar was just about dead. After I installed a fresh one, the level seems normal. Is it possible the pedal was acting as a kind of "power supply" to a weak active pickup battery? Either way, it sounds like velvet now! Got a nice coat of paint on it now too!!
I did end up changing the power jack to an external-nut type for ease of disassembly.
Thanks!

Attachments:
20231106_173241_resized.jpg
20231106_173241_resized.jpg [ 869.51 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]
20231107_175947_resized.jpg
20231107_175947_resized.jpg [ 637.08 KiB | Viewed 281 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:38 am 

Nice work, and I believe that blue shade is the correct color for a Boss-style chorus. :wink:

Keep it up!

My band, Austin Hollow