Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Envelope Filter on 18v!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am 

I just bought a Dunlop wall wart 1 amp 18v supply for my gigging peedal board. I connected the EF to that and, wow, what a difference! I have the bass mod cap in it, which is funkier sounding (to my ear) than stock but 18v really extends the range of the sweep, the sensitivity and the headroom. It's a little like a new pedal :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:59 pm 

interesting. Ive been using my supa charger at 9v. I can go up to 16, so I will try it out.
Bass mod? Did you use the (2) 0.1uf caps? More funkier, less fizz?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:49 am 

Xactly - mo' funk less fizz, bass mod. But at 18v, more range less fizz :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:49 am 

mmarsh wrote:
Xactly - mo' funk less fizz, bass mod. But at 18v, more range less fizz :D

This is very interesting. By the way, would you recommend the bass mod for use with guitar, or do you play bass, if that makes sense?

I'm keen to get a bit more body out of the EF but don't want to sound like I'm playing through cotton wool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:46 pm 

cleanclang wrote:
would you recommend the bass mod for use with guitar?

Yeppers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:00 pm 

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
cleanclang wrote:
would you recommend the bass mod for use with guitar?

Yeppers

Thanks Paranoid. Seems like you're always there to answer my questions!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:13 pm 

Yes I play guitar and I wanted it more funky less fizzy so I did the bass mod. This really helped but it did cut the range of the sweep. What I've discovered with the 18v trick is that I get the sweep back but since I have more headroom, the high end is not distorted and hence not fizzy. It's like a new pedal, almost, since I've had to find new settings of the knobs. But glorious sounding!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:06 am 

PS - I don't have to mod the pedal in any way to run it at 18v, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:16 pm 

Thats correct.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:42 pm 

What Paranoid said :) I did not mod the pedal for this (though I did do the bass mod posted elsewhere).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:05 pm 

OK, so I recently had occaision to jam with a bass player using a Russian Bassballs, and I just continue to be amazed by that pedal (at least on bass). It's so juicy and the signal seems to follow the sound like a gooey, plasma kite string... so nice.

During the jam I kicked on my BYOC envelope filter, on which I have done the bass mod caps, as well as a few others that I socketed when I built it. Without the bass mod caps this pedal has a horribly tinny sound in my opinion.

I was || this close to just buying a bassballs nano, when I saw this thread and I have to admit, I'd forgotten about the 18V option.

Ordered the Dunlop 18V wart and it came the other day. The first night I plugged it in it sounded phenomenal, but I was getting some odd sounds when the signal was muted, which I figured had to do with my mods (which were really trial-and-error swaps of various caps - most of them, in fact), plus I had my daughter so I shelved it until tonight, when I could turn up and mod to my hearts content. Whatever the issue was the other night, seems to have overcome itself when I plugged in tonight (though I'll keep my eye on it... hopefully it was just a new PS burning in... but we'll see). So, I didn't have to get in and mess with anything tonight, anyhow.

Anyhow, just writing to second this thread. 18V on the BYOC Envelope Filter does a world of good.

With the 9V PS connected, I had to turn the range down to about 12 o'clock, and the Sensitivity up to about 4-5 o'clock to make this thing even pick up my picking in any kind of normal way - and that made it so that the tones of the sweep were not painful at points. The net result was I could only use say the first 50-60% of the sweep because the higher frequencies were glaring and somewhat painful compared to the bottom end of the sweep. (make sense?). Lastly, as the signal amplitude went down, the effect would suddenly just die, taking the entire signal with it.

When I connected the 18V PS, there was instantly a difference. My previous settings were way too much, but the entire signal sounded good (eg: no pain). I can now run the Sensitivity at about 12 o'clock and the range cranked so I get the full sweep and there is nothing glaring or painful anymore. I can now utilize the full sweep of all of the pots (with the minor exception of the very bottom of the attack, which begins to distort until just a hair above 0), and it all sounds good.

To be honest, though I have not tried the bassballs on the guitar (yet), it still does not have the subtlety of the bassballs, but the sustain of the effected signal is now to the point where it doesn't just hack off the lower end of the signal and the upper end is no longer piercing.

Anyhow, I did make some recordings of both and thought I'd share.

This is the BYOC Envelope Filter on 9V, Attack at 8 o'clock, Range at 1 o'clock, Sensitivity at 4 o'clock (with bass mod, line-in through a Bugera V22 with it's Reverb engaged - and I apologize but I forgot if I had the Phase Royal on or not - often I do and it is before the EF in my chain), played on my Guitarfetish.com recently completed ES-335 kit guitar with GFS "Vintage 59" Classic Alnico V p'ups.

http://passthejam.net/BYOCEFwBassMod-9V.wav

and here is the sample of the same set up with the BYOC Envelope Filter on 18V

http://passthejam.net/BYOCEFwBassMod-18V.wav

FYI - at about 14 seconds I turned up my bridge pup...

Oh - the Dunlop ECB04 PS was $16.04 from Amazon...

I would certainly recommend this simple upgrade for the Envelop Filter - though I most likely would never use this pedal without the bass cap mod.

CEW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:12 pm 

I built a bassballs clone, go it from the capt. Where can I see some Russian bassballs schems?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:41 pm 

Hi:

I have the envelope filter/ fixed wah......will the 18V mod work with that version????? Also, can't seem to find info. on the bass mod, can anyone help????

Thanks,
Don