Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:00 am 

hello,
i'm getting sound through the env filter but it's not creating the filter effect. when i turn the range knob all the way down i get an uneffected signal (may be a bit thinned) however when i turn the range knob all the way up i get a faint crackling (still no env filtering). is it possible that i burned out a component? any ideas?
thanks
-j

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:29 am 
Site Admin

jzilla wrote:
hello,
i'm getting sound through the env filter but it's not creating the filter effect. when i turn the range knob all the way down i get an uneffected signal (may be a bit thinned) however when i turn the range knob all the way up i get a faint crackling (still no env filtering). is it possible that i burned out a component? any ideas?
thanks
-j

The names "range" and "level" are the names that DOD gave those knobs. I don't think either of them do what they are supposed to do.

The thing you need to realize about the DOD440 is that it is a one trick pony. You need to blindly play with both the range and level knobs to find the sweet spot. The two knobs are very interactive. Once you find the sweet spot, don't play with the knobs anymore.

Hopefully that's your problem - just a misunderstanding of how this particular pedal works. If this isn't the case please post pics.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:54 am 

Never built the byoc 440 yet, but I will be.
I had an old original until about 4 years ago. It was also a one trick pony. I "set it and forget it" once I dialed a cool tone in, but it can be subtle. I know no mods for it either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:07 am 

hi
thanks for the reply.
that's definitely not the problem as i built it before and had to 'unbuild' and rebuild to paint the enclosure (bad planning :( ). the first build worked correctly. had to use lots of heat to undo the soldering from the first pass. to further describe what's happening: when i turn the range knob up it has a faint blown component sound. kinda like distortion mixed with the original signal.
thanks for the help.
-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

jzilla wrote:
hi
thanks for the reply.
that's definitely not the problem as i built it before and had to 'unbuild' and rebuild to paint the enclosure (bad planning :( ). the first build worked correctly. had to use lots of heat to undo the soldering from the first pass. to further describe what's happening: when i turn the range knob up it has a faint blown component sound. kinda like distortion mixed with the original signal.
thanks for the help.
-j

The only component in that kit that would be like to damage with heat is the op amp. You can replace it with any dual op amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:08 am 

cool. i'll try that. would you mind telling me which one? (i'm a serious newbie.)
thanks!
-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:15 am 

more specifically, which TL022? there seems to be a few different kinds.
thanks
-j

Post subject: Me too
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:56 am 

Hey there-
I'm having the exact same experience... I'd be surprised if I blew any components. Same exact effect though...
hmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:51 pm 

hmm. what's weird is that i did have it working. but after i took it apart to paint the enclosure and rebuilt it i encountered the problem. i think i'm going to try replacing the opamp (if someone will tell me where to get it and which one to get!! :) ). then i think i'll try rewiring. let me know if you figure it out and i'll do the same!
best,
-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:58 pm 

how much did you desolder when you took it apart? the only thing that needs it is the dc jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:30 pm 

i also resoldered the jacks and wound up trying to 'fix' some points on the board. defniitely won't win any awards for neatest build.

so can ANYONE tell me where to get a replacement op amp? a link would be awesome since there seem to be mulitple types of tl022 chips. here are the choices i've found on mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=tl022

many thanks
-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Your op amp would only go bad if you used a reverse polarity power supply. But if you really feel like putting a new one in will fix it, then you're gonna need to use something other than the TL022. They have become very hard to find now. It's a 100 pcs minimum at mouser. Just use a 4558 or TL072. THey are very common and will work just as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:30 pm 

hmm. ok. i think i'm going to try to rewire everything... thanks.
-j