Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm 

Hi all, I'm having issues with my 1st build and am wondering if the transistors were incorrect....the part list calls for two 2n5088 and I recieved 2n3904's instead. Should they still work correctly? Does my problem lye elsewhere? FYI, the problem I have is that the effect starts and then fades within 30 seconds the 1st time turning it on, then it turns on and doesn't fade but always the rate needs to be close to 12o'clock or it falls off. bypass, signal, LED are never an issue, the LED is in time with the effect when it does work. If the transistors are OK, I can provide pics to further diagnose the problem. Thanks to all of those sharing info here, it has been immensely helpful while getting started!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:03 pm 

jimilee wrote:
It will work, just the pin outs are different, just turn them opposite what you have now. If will google 2n3904 pinout and 2n5088 Pinout, you can see what I’m talking about.

I don't think this is true. All the pinout images I can find for these two transistor types are the same:

Image Image

To the OP: please post photos of your build. They need to be large, well-focused, well-lit shots of both sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:44 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
jimilee wrote:
It will work, just the pin outs are different, just turn them opposite what you have now. If will google 2n3904 pinout and 2n5088 Pinout, you can see what I’m talking about.

I don't think this is true. All the pinout images I can find for these two transistor types are the same:

Image Image

To the OP: please post photos of your build. They need to be large, well-focused, well-lit shots of both sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring.

I looked at it several times, I don’t know how I missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 pm 

I have some pics here:

https://www.instagram.com/sonicstylee/?hl=en

If needed, I can take more, whatever helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:16 pm 

Added a few more pics after cleaning up the footswitch a bit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm 

I see quite a few questionable solder joints--I'd recommend going through this process: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

Also, I see that you have 1uf polar electrolytic caps in the three adjacent spaces intended for non-polar film caps. Did those come with the kit or did you source them yourself? Are you sure that they are oriented in the circuit with the right polarity?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm 

All parts came with the kit... the instructions said orientation would not matter with those caps.. i can reflow but if those caps are an issue i'd rather start there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

That's strange. Send an email to sales@buildyourownclone.com and we'll send you some 1u film caps, just for good measure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 pm 

Will do, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:45 pm 

OK, here we go. Got the new caps, installed them, reflowed the entire board adding hair of solder to each point as well (after heating the original solder), went through with a signal tester and have signal on every solder point including the footswitch. Now I get bypass signal, signal when the pedal is on, led lights up, volume works, but no effect at all.. new pics are here: https://www.instagram.com/sonicstylee/?hl=en
Is the next step breaking out the multimeter (which I have never used before)? This is killing me :?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm 

Well, I've worked some more on this project and still haven't found the problem, I really could use some direction/advice here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:25 pm 

sonicstylee wrote:
....went through with a signal tester and have signal on every solder point including the footswitch

I don't see how this could be possible, since not every solder point in the pedal circuit has signal on it. How exactly are you do the testing with your signal probe?

I'm also concerned by the appearance of many of your solder joints in the photos. Good solder joints that are properly wetting the PCB pad and the substrate should be conical in shape, not domed/hemispherical, as many of yours appear. What kind of solder and soldering iron are you using?