Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:05 pm 

I finished the Phase Royal and it sounds great. I wanted to try it out with my Dunlop Volume X pedal, it has an expression jack on the front.

However, it seems that it doesn't really do anything. I was wondering if anyone had tried it out and had any tips?

You can see my build report in the the Show Off Your Completed Build thread here:

http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=56830

Just in case I happened to bugger up something in terms of wiring. I am going to check the expression trimpot upper limit again to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm 

Volume pedals and expression pedals are two completely separate things and operate very differently. Expression pedals do not process the instrument signal directly, but rather control the operation of the effect pedal that they're plugged into--they're basically voltage control devices. They require the use of a TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) stereo cable, not a regular mono instrument cable like volume pedals use. Read up a bit on how expression pedals work, and you'll see what I'm talking about. There's a good explanation here: https://missionengineering.com/understa ... 16fd43adaa

I'm not familiar with your Dunlop pedal, but if it's designed to be used as either a volume or an expression pedal, then there should be directions for the latter in the documentation that came with it.

I recently bought this very reasonably priced EHX expression pedal and am very pleased with it thus far: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gle-output

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:53 pm 

Chong, are you using a TRS cable in the expression jack of your Dunlop pedal?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:01 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
I'm not familiar with your Dunlop pedal, but if it's designed to be used as either a volume or an expression pedal, then there should be directions for the latter in the documentation that came with it.

Just found this online for your Dunlop pedal with a quick google search:

EXPRESSION MODE (10 KΩ POT)
  • Set TUNER/EXP switch to the EXP position. Run a stereo or TRS cable from the DVP4’s AUX jack to your FX pedal’s expression jack.
  • With the pedal fully toe-down, set the FX parameter you want to control to the desired maximum level.
  • Optional: To set the parameter’s minimum level, use internal TRIMPOT. Turn it clockwise to raise minimum level or counterclockwise to lower it. Factory setting is fully counterclockwise.
  • Move the rocker pedal toward the heel-down position to lower the FX parameter value within range set by FX pedal and the DVP4’s internal TRIMPOT.
  • Optional: Use internal TIP/RING switch to reverse the DVP4’s heel/toe functionality

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm 

I was using a TRS cable I will have to mess around with the internal trimpot to see if that fixes the issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am 

I forgot to come back around to close this post.

The dunlop expression pedal doesn't work with the Phase Royal, at least mine doesn't.

I picked up a Moog EP-3 and it works wonderfully. Probably the best expression pedal I have ever used thus far.