Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:50 am 

Built the pedal,
My first build!

It's passing signal but I'm not getting any effect at all.
Now what?
The LED is pulsing and adjustable but once again no effect at all.
I'm guessing I should post a picture of the guts.

Some of the instructions were not very clear...so I may have gotten tripped up there.

thanks in advance
http://www.super70studio.com

Post subject: Re: HArmonic Tremelo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:22 am 

Yes, photos please. They need to be LARGE, well-lit, well-focused shots of BOTH sides of the PCB and all of the jack and switch wiring.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

Post subject: Re: Harmonic Tremolo
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:12 pm 

Ok having some trouble posting them but I will keep trying
thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:15 pm 

You can post them to a publicly accessible hosting site (such as Imgur) and display them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, know that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:02 pm 

https://imgur.com/dHdpvnH
https://imgur.com/a/AXugklz
try this

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:42 pm 

The second photo is OK because it can be enlarged in Imgur, but the first one cannot and is too small to see the level of detail we need. Please repost that one (sorry!).

Did you dial in the two trimpots per the instructions (pg. 10)?

This process is often useful in resolving "no effect" issues: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:38 pm 

I'd still like to see a bigger photo of the component side of the PCB, but by enlarging your photo, I was able to see that you received some incorrect resistors in your kit. This issue was previously reported here in the forum, and it appears your kit had the same error: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=59201

Specifically, you have three 330 ohm resistors (orange-orange-black-black-brown) where there should be 330 Kohm values (orange-orange-black-orange-brown), an error by a factor of 1000x! See marked up photo below. Contact sales@buildyourownclone.com, and they will send out replacements at no cost to you.

EDIT: Ignore the resistors marked in yellow--forgot those had been changed to 12.7K in the new version of the pedal. My bad.

Attachment:
harm_trem_res_error.jpg
harm_trem_res_error.jpg [ 64.17 KiB | Viewed 4292 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:00 pm 

thanks for that info.....I will post a link to the larger picture
https://imgur.com/VZzpYc2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:38 pm 

OK, that photo is much better, thanks.

Other than those three 330R resistors I already pointed out, all the component placement looks good.

Couple of other things:

• I can't make out the footswitch wiring clearly enough to tell if the 4-9 jumper isn't touching lugs 5 or 8. So just check to make sure that's not happening. And trim off the long wire ends sticking through the lugs, since they can cause shorts.
  • Your solder flow isn't bad, but could be better. You want to be sure that you apply enough solder to each eyelet to cover the entire solder pad on the PCB. Some of your component joints could use more, as could the pot lug joints on the component side.

But the most important thing is to get those three wrong resistors replaced.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 pm 

They are not touching.....and this is my first ever build so I am brand new to soldering..and I will touch this thing up..thanks for the info!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:30 am 

It was fun doing my first work..my partner at Damaged Guitars has been teaching me soldering, I got a good Hako soldering station. It's been weeks since I got the kit and now waiting longer for the correct parts.
I want to build a fuzz next but maybe I need to look for a different kit provider. Not sure what's going on at BYOC, but between wrong and missing components and unclear instructions [for a first timer certainly]
it's been a frustrating experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 am 

I understand your frustration. I know this may seem to be a biased comment since I'm a long-time moderator here, but I've built kits from many sources over the years, and the BYOC kits are consistently the highest overall quality and have the best and most comprehensive instructions. But that's not to say that mistakes don't happen and improvements can't be made. I just wouldn't judge the entirety of BYOC based upon a single unfortunate experience with your first kit. And I don't think you'll find a better resource for fixing a problem when it does occur than this forum. Just sayin'! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:51 am 
Site Admin

supafuzz wrote:
It was fun doing my first work..my partner at Damaged Guitars has been teaching me soldering, I got a good Hako soldering station. It's been weeks since I got the kit and now waiting longer for the correct parts.
I want to build a fuzz next but maybe I need to look for a different kit provider. Not sure what's going on at BYOC, but between wrong and missing components and unclear instructions [for a first timer certainly]
it's been a frustrating experience.

I'm very sorry your first experience with BYOC and DIY effects has been frustrating. And I'm sure your frustration has been compounded by the added wait time due to the Holidays. Things should be getting back to normal now. The Brown Face Trem Rev2.0 was just released a few weeks ago. We try our best to get everything perfect before release, but with something like this, it's difficult to not have at least one typo or error in the bill of materials. I appreciate your patience while we resolve this. I cannot promise you that we won't ever make mistakes again. But I can assure you that BYOC will always provide the best support and do our best to fix any mistakes.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:15 pm 

thanks ....I understand..I am ok and will probably try ,more BYOC projects.....I'm just a little discouraged right now and feeling impatient. I want to use this pedal!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:40 pm 

OK it's official, got the 330K resistors in the mail yesterday, had to remove the resistors and dremel out the holes , installed the new resistors and with a bit of fuss finally got the thing working and on my pedal board.
It sounds really cool with a nice range of sounds from slow seasick to Link Wray Rumble goodness.
I am happy that I built it correctly on my first attempt and if not for the incorrect parts would have been enjoying it sooner.

Thanks to BYOC for sending me the parts...