Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am 

Hello! I'm about to order the Confidence Boost but I was hoping to get a few questions answered before I do so.

The plan is to build the CB into an enclosure so I've been looking around the forum (which has been very helpful!) to find out what extra bits and pieces are required.

I've listed the items below so have I got the right ones? Most of the items were straightforward to find but I wasn't entirely sure about the potentiometer and the DC jack.

3PDT Latching Footswitch
100k Log Potentiometer 16mm
Red LED std 5mm
Chrome LED Bezel 5mm
4K7 Metal Film Resistor 0.25W 1%
2.1mm Chassis DC Socket
Open Jack Socket Stereo 1/4 inch

(The enclosure and knob are being ordered from another site as I'm wanting to get a pre-drilled enclosure.)

In the CB instructions I noticed the kit comes with two mono/stereo jacks or one of each. I also added a stereo jack for the input just in case as I read in another post it's used for the battery or power supply to be disconnected when the plug is removed from the input jack. Is that the right thing to do?

I think that's everything I wanted to ask. Sorry for the long post but I want to make sure I'm on the right track before I get started!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am 

Yep,use a stereo jack if you're going to use a battery.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am 

That's great. Thanks, Jim!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:41 pm 

Hey Guys. I'm new here. I'm doing my first build that's a confidence boost in an enclosure. I followed the diagram that floats around here. I get signal through the jacks and everything but when i click the pedal on the LED comes on but Theres no sound. NOTHING. what would do that?? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:51 pm 

Claytor112807 wrote:
Hey Guys. I'm new here. I'm doing my first build that's a confidence boost in an enclosure. I followed the diagram that floats around here. I get signal through the jacks and everything but when i click the pedal on the LED comes on but Theres no sound. NOTHING. what would do that?? Thanks!!

Bad soldering,bad wiring wrong components,incorrectly placed components.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:19 pm 

Ok. The components and everything are right. I must have some bad solder joints. Do you solder the top and bottom of the BYOC boards. Sorry if its a noob question. I just soldered the back of the board and thats it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm 

Claytor112807 wrote:
Ok. The components and everything are right. I must have some bad solder joints. Do you solder the top and bottom of the BYOC boards. Sorry if its a noob question. I just soldered the back of the board and thats it.

Just solder the bottom, which is commonly referred to as the "solder side".

My Confidence Boost didn't work when I first plugged it up - turned out I needed to adjust the trimpot and voila. Of course, I'm incredibly dense at times - you may have already tried that.

"Cowboys ain't easy to love and they're harder to hold - They'd rather give you a song than diamonds or gold." - Sir Waylon

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:50 pm 

So I spent a few hours today and shortened some wires and re soldered a bunch of connections and it works great. I think I just tried to rush through it. Not a bad sounding little clean boost. Thanks for the help guys! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 am 

Awesome job, did you get it into an enclosure?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:59 pm 

Finally made a start to this today (took me long enough to order the kit, parts and tools!).

At the moment I'm trying to fit the op-amp onto the board. All of the legs go through but there's a gap between the op-amp and the board. I've tried for a good while now but it's not budging. Can I get away with a small gap or should I keep trying?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:11 pm 

As long as all the legs are in all the holes you'll be fine. What's stopping it? Make sure it's oriented correctly also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:16 pm 

It's going in the right way. There isn't a notch but the dot lines up with the square hole.

Just noticed the legs are bigger at the top so that's why they don't go all the way down. Don't know why I didn't see that before so I feel rather silly now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:05 pm 

Cygnus wrote:
It's going in the right way. There isn't a notch but the dot lines up with the square hole.

Just noticed the legs are bigger at the top so that's why they don't go all the way down. Don't know why I didn't see that before so I feel rather silly now!

Naa, you gotta start somewhere, it's all part of the learning process.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 am 

Not made much progress recently as I've been spraying the enclosure. It's raining just now so I can't add another coat yet.

While I'm waiting I've got a few more questions.

1. On the stereo jack, which bits are the ring and the tip?
2. When wiring more than one lead to the same lug do I squeeze the two on together and solder both on at the same time?
3. When wiring the pot do the wires go through the board solder side up and the pot is upside down?
4. When wiring the LED and its resistor does the resistor just hang loose in the enclosure?

Sorry for all the questions again. I just don't want to get anything wrong!