Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:45 pm 

I love the massive clean boost, but the footswitch pop is loud! I've read some of the true-bypass pop articles and followed the links regarding this topic on the message board - is the moral of the story to just live with it? Is there anything I can do to minimize the loud pop? So far I've reflowed all of the solder connections and have rewired the footswitch and jacks from scratch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:43 pm 

Where is it located in your pedal chain? Does it have the same pop on its own?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 pm 

Keep in mind the original FA-1 was not a pedal. It was an always-on box with a belt clip and no bypass switch. There is a 470k de-pop resistor added in the BYOC version, but not all circuits lend themselves to quiet switching.

As Morgan said, it would be helpful to know if it pops by itself or only when in the chain. And, does it go away when you engage/disengage a few times in a row?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:24 pm 

I've tried the pedal by itself; it doesn't seem to matter where it is in the signal chain with other pedals. The amp volume seems to be the biggest factor. The pop is not really noticeable at low volumes. But it's pretty intense when the amp volume is at band levels, especially when the pop triggers the reverb tank. It also doesn't seem to diminish by hitting the footswitch in succession. Maybe I just need to be careful how I use the pedal. I don't think I can engage it in subtle pieces with a band, but it would probably go unnoticed if everything is going balls out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:43 pm 

Place a 1m resistor from the input jacks sleeve to ground and see if that tames it a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 pm 

I just dug mine out of the drawer and it was dead quiet, so the 470K on the input is doing it's job. Could be a flaky switch, bad ground, or any number of things. As you eluded to earlier, it's not exactly an easy thing to troubleshoot - especially when it's otherwise working fine. If you've already checked solder joints, etc. make sure you don't have any ground loops (points tied to ground by multiple connections).