Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:49 pm 

Will this work? I want to hook this up but don't have a need to place a whole order yet for one rotary switch. I've got this lying around...

How would you wire this switch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm 

I was actually able to do it with a SPDT by connecting B to the middle position and C and D to the outer two poles. Someone tell me if I did this correctly...

The range mod is definitely needed however. My stack of dimes seems to sound much darker and lower in range than the supplied Halo. It also seems to be smoother and more mellow than the Halo.

To be honest, I first connected the inductors without removing the zero ohm resistor or adding the switch and I believe they were running in parallel. It sounded awesome. I immediately noticed an improvement in the tone. It had all the smooth bass and sweep of the SOD but the vocal highs of the Halo. I'm going to track down some cheap rotary switches and pots to do the Q mod, range mod, and inductor mod (ind 1, ind 2, series, parallel), and probably the mid mod as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:47 pm 

i actually pulled it off successfully. Flick the switch one way, you get a red fasel, and the other way you get a halo.

I did it wiring the inductors into their spots on the pcb, and using the ABCD eyelets to connect to the DPDT. I easily could have done it by putting the inductors off the board, but NO, i wanted everything to go into their proper holes.

you know how i did it?

i hacked up the pcb! hah! took my dremel, cut some traces, and all i had to do was wire the dpdt to the ABCD holes and two other points on the board.

if you want, i can draw up a diagram for the safe way to do it. or if you're adventurous as hell and want to gamble your PCB, i can show you the crazy way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:34 am 

where is the fun in the safe way? i want to be adventurous, show me the crazy way :!:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:41 am 

bt2513 wrote:
Will this work? I want to hook this up but don't have a need to place a whole order yet for one rotary switch. I've got this lying around...

You're using a double throw so I'm guessing you just want to use one or the other and not both together.

inductor 1 = B connects to C
inductor 2 = A connects to D

So I would say

A x
D C
x B

And don't forget to remove the 0 resistor jumper

Last edited by scott on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:48 am 

Brownie wrote:
where is the fun in the safe way? i want to be adventurous, show me the crazy way :!:

well, my way was optimized for the inductors i was using, cause it eliminated a couple of the eyelets that you could solder the inductor into. But tell you what, if someone can take a picture of the underside of the wah PCB, i'll draw up the diagram for those who want to try.

later today, i'll make a diagram of how to use a dpdt to switch between 2 inductors off the board.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:05 am 

scott wrote:
bt2513 wrote:

You're using a double throw so I'm guessing you just want to use one or the other and not both together.

inductor 1 = B connects to C
inductor 2 = A connects to D
both = A connects to B

So I would say

A x
D C
x B

And don't forget to remove the 0 resistor jumper

I believe I was able to do it with a SPDT (it definitely switched, I noticed an audible difference). I thought about it long enough and the three way switch really took B and either connected it to C or D. A was brought in only to have them both in series (not important at the moment). What I ended up with was:

C
B
D

on a SPDT. Now, I'm trying to figure out how the thing is wired if both inductors are in and the zero ohm resistor is in and no switch is wired up. Are they in parallel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:45 pm 

Yay! using the SPDT with....

C
B
D

....like you did does work. Pretty sure it's switching between the 2. All in all both sound good. I get the original stock and a quackier sound. Probably have to play with the trim pots some to even the sounds.

Thanks for the posts. Helped me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:14 am 

focalized wrote:
Yay! using the SPDT with....

C
B
D

....like you did does work. Pretty sure it's switching between the 2. All in all both sound good. I get the original stock and a quackier sound. Probably have to play with the trim pots some to even the sounds.

Thanks for the posts. Helped me out.

That's giving you inductor 1 / inductor 1 & 2 in series

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 am 

Ah... it's a good sound though. I'm sure i'll get back to it and try something else too.