Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:45 pm 

Apologies if this is a common question. I did some discussion searches but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Is it ok to run a 5-watt champlifier (built stock with 8-ohm output) into a 16 ohm speaker (celestion g12h)? I’ve always thought it was ok to go to a higher impedance but not lower, but some googling turns up “depends on the amp”. What say the experts?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:10 pm 

It will reduce the max. output wattage of the Champlifier, but a 16 ohm speaker will work just fine.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:59 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
It will reduce the max. output wattage of the Champlifier, but a 16 ohm speaker will work just fine.
I’ve had this same question. From
What I’ve read, long term it will damage your amp, is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:00 pm 

jady wrote:
Apologies if this is a common question. I did some discussion searches but couldn’t find a definitive answer.

Is it ok to run a 5-watt champlifier (built stock with 8-ohm output) into a 16 ohm speaker (celestion g12h)? I’ve always thought it was ok to go to a higher impedance but not lower, but some googling turns up “depends on the amp”. What say the experts?
Awesome amp, congrats. I just finished a 5e3. How do you like the champ?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:55 pm 

jimilee wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
I’ve had this same question. From what I’ve read, long term it will damage your amp, is this true?

Not according to what I've read. But using a lower impedance speaker than the amp is rated for can stress the output stage and cause problems over time. Then again, I've read that you can go up or down by one impedance step on the speaker with very little risk to the amp.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:56 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
jimilee wrote:
duhvoodooman wrote:
I’ve had this same question. From what I’ve read, long term it will damage your amp, is this true?

Not according to what I've read. But using a lower impedance speaker than the amp is rated for can stress the output stage and cause problems over time. Then again, I've read that you can go up or down by one impedance step on the speaker with very little risk to the amp.
Cool, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 12:54 pm 

Thanks for the input. I briefly ran the 16 ohm speaker and nothing caught fire. I swapped it with an 8-ohm just to be safe.

Now, if someone could recommend a supplier of fuses without me starting a new thread? I’ve tried the hardware store and then some from mojotone that are supposed to work but both are too long.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 5:52 pm 

jady wrote:
Thanks for the input. I briefly ran the 16 ohm speaker and nothing caught fire. I swapped it with an 8-ohm just to be safe.

Now, if someone could recommend a supplier of fuses without me starting a new thread? I’ve tried the hardware store and then some from mojotone that are supposed to work but both are too long.
Have you tried tube depot or Stewmac?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:06 am 

Was hoping to find out what they send with the kit so I don’t have a bunch more fuses rattling around the junk drawer :|

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:13 am 

I was surprised they don’t sell them in the shop. I’d pay $1 apiece— that’s got to be some margin :lol: