Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:51 pm 

I've been itching to pick up a BYOC kit for a few years now. I finally bit the bullet, ordered a couple kits, and last night I put together a 250+ kit to Distortion + specs. I took my time, labeled all the components with their values, etc. It was a smashing success! And it only took about 3 hours. My first time plugging in, everything worked perfectly! I'd take pictures, but alas, no camera. My leads are maybe a little long, but otherwise I think everything is nice and tidy. Now... to move on to the Opto Comp.

But first, a question. To clarify, I'm using this Dist + with my bass. My question involves the jumper. After playing with diode combinations, and taking C1 out completely (which increases the value of of that component to infinity, correct?) to fill out the low end some (I think), I've settled -for now- on a 1N34A in D1 and 1N4001 in D2, with no jumper in D3. Will having no jumper hurt anything? Having it in there drops the output volume considerably, and seems to compress the clipping more? Is that normal? Why is that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out how all these components are working together, and this jumper thing is throwing me for a loop. :?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 am 

You must have a diode or a jumper installed at D3. Otherwise D2 isn't even in the circuit. This means only the positive half of the signal is getting clipped while the negative half is not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:59 am 

Ahh... that makes sense. That would be why it sounds so much fuller I would imagine. No harm to the circuitry doing that, correct?

So, just to make sure I understand, If I stuck a diode in D3 and had nothing in D2, same principle, D3 wouldn't be in the circuit because of the layout of the board?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am 

Correct

The layout of the board doesn't have anything to do with it. Without either of the diodes (D2 or D3) in circuit there will be no clipping of the negative portion of the signal. Only D1 will be in circuit and clipping the positive portion of the signal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 pm 

Of course, subconsciously, your leaving out D3 was intentional, since deep within the inner recesses of your intellect, you were aware of the subtleties of asymmetric clipping, touted by many for its more musical, tube-like distortion character. Right? ;)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Of course, subconsciously, your leaving out D3 was intentional, since deep within the inner recesses of your intellect, you were aware of the subtleties of asymmetric clipping, touted by many for its more musical, tube-like distortion character. Right? ;)

Yeah. That must have been it. You know, now that I think about it, after hearing my stock Dist + build, then experimenting with three diodes, I must have gone back to two diodes minus the jumper and thought "I don't remember this symmetrical combo sounding that open and good!" I'm glad I stuck with my ears and gut, instead of what my conscious brain was telling me. :wink: