Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:17 pm 

The Silver Pony I just built does not work. No sound at all, even when bypassed. The LED is the only thing working. I'm not a newbie... been working with electronics for years. There is a dead short somewhere in the signal path. I even pulled everything out of the metal box and checked the wiring laid out on my bench... and no, it's not my soldering.

I carefully checked to make sure I followed the PDF instructions and I can find no mistakes I made. I did, however, find one mistake in the instructions which makes me wonder if there are other mistakes that could explain why this pedal does not work. If anyone who has discovered a mistake in the instructions would please share what you found with me, I will share what I found with you, and maybe we can write up a revised copy to benefit everyone?

Last edited by rhodco on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:43 pm 

rhodco wrote:
...If anyone who has discovered a mistake in the instructions would please share what you found with me, I will share what I found with you, and maybe we can write up a revised copy to benefit everyone?

There's no need for this kind of approach. Just post any perceived error here in the forum and we'll bring it to the attention of Nick @ BYOC (assuming he doesn't see it himself) who manages all of the kit instructions available on their website. Nick is very quick to correct any mistakes that he is made aware of.

BTW, not to minimize your concern, but if the SP instructions contained a "fatal flaw" mistake that caused the pedal not to work when built as directed, we would certainly have known about it long since, as the kit has been out for nearly 4 months. Serious kit quality issues nearly always come up here in the forum in the first few days after the kit is released, and they are pretty rare.

Re: your non-functioning pedal, please start a technical assistance post in the "Op amp based Distortions, fuzzes and overdrives" forum, per these guidelines; good quality photos are particularly important:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6405

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:52 pm 

these forum names are maddening...

And, the mistake I found is on Page 17 of the instructions. I'm just trying to find out if there are any others reported before I start taking everything apart again,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 pm 

Ah, I see--wrong counts for the pots and toggle switches. I'll see that Nick knows about that.

And please save yourself some time and potential aggravation by posting the technical help request before you start stripping down the pedal. You can start by posting a couple of good quality pics of the PCB and jack & footswitch wiring, like the shot on page 4 of the instructions. If we need to see more than that, we'll ask accordingly. Please make the photos large, well-lit and sharply focused. Thanks.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2