Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Classic overdrive issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 pm 

I have finished my build of the Classic Overdrive kit but am running into some issues. The bypass is working and led comes on when I click the switch but is somewhat dim. Once I activate the foot switch the signal drops. One thing I did notice is that the IC and battery were both getting very hot. I checked to see if there were any shorts but could not find any. I was only to get the LED to come on by using battery power but the dc power jack was not working. So with those 2 things I'm assuming its a power issue but I have been unable to pinpoint it.

I am away from the board right mow but will get some pics of the pcb asap but I just wanted to go ahead and post to see if anyone had any ideas on what my issue is. This is my first pedal build but I do have some previous electrical and soldering experience.

*Here is a picture of the board Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:08 am 

After posting the picture I am noticing the 47u cap looks busted :( , Ill have to check on that when I get home this afternoon. I would guess I still need to trouble shoot as to why that happened and I also have a feeling I will need a replacement IC as well as I think the issue may have been I inserted it backwards.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 am 

Your IC is installed backwards. Note the orientation is indicated by the dot, which should be on the same end as the notch in the screen print. It's quite possibly damaged now, but you can try removing it and re-installing it easily enough. Fingers crossed!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:37 am 

sjaustin wrote:
...It's quite possibly damaged now, but you can try removing it and re-installing it easily enough. Fingers crossed!

If it doesn't work, a replacement is inexpensive. You don't have to use the same exact IC--any general purpose dual op amp will work in this service, e.g. RC4558P, TL072, TL082, NE5532, OPA2134, LM833, etc. If you have a decent electronics store around you, they should carry one or more of these. BYOC also sells them, of course, but the shipping will cost more than the part! You'll find them here: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... ts/jrc4558

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:21 pm 

Yep it was the IC that was backwards. I flipped it and now it seems to be working in sone manner. The bypass sounds good and when i click the foot switch my signal doesnt drop but it is rathered muffled and there is a volume drop and the pots dont really effect the sound. Definitely not an OD sound but a step in the right direction. However the led is not lighting up any more.
The 47u cap is a little tinged so ive gone ahead and ordered a replacemet cap and IC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:35 am 

You might want to check your soldering. For example lug 3 of the Drive pot and lug 2 of the Volume pot don’t look like they’ve been soldered at all. The soldering of the Tone pot looks minimal (too little solder) at best. Some photos showing more detail of the IN/OUT jacks, adapter, stomp switch and solder side of the PCB would help us help you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 am 

I definitely agree with Stephen. The soldering quality was the first thing I noticed, but the second thing (the IC) was the obvious problem to address first.

While you're waiting for new parts, it's definitely worth reflowing all your solder joints, and adding just a bit of solder as you go. You want to fill those eyelets with clean, shiny solder.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 am 

I agree with Stephen & Scott re: soldering improvement needed. Good time to do that while your replacement parts are in transit. Here are a couple of useful reference posts for you to check out:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6401

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52211

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:26 pm 

Thanks for all the help everyone! Got the new IC installed and cap replaced and it seems to be working! I reflowed some of the solders that looked like they were not correct and that helped with some of the crackling from the in put and output jacks. It sounds great and I'm glad it actually works and I definitely will be building more in the future. The tone knob doesnt really do much but I really was just looking for a nice boost/OD which this now does

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:28 am 

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! The tone knob should do something, so that might be worth looking into—but if you're having fun, no need to mess with it. :)

Any thoughts on what you're going to build next?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:55 pm 

I'm thinking some kind of treble boost or a fuzz, or really anything where the footswitch is easier to wire because that is what gave the me the most trouble with this build.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:20 pm 

ryker888 wrote:
....anything where the footswitch is easier to wire because that is what gave the me the most trouble with this build.

In that case, you may find this info useful: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=33293