Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:24 pm 

A few years ago I built an ESV Knob Bender, but the pedal never sounded quite right to me. It sounded similar to my ESV NPN FF. I rearranged the transistors so that the gains were progressive from Q1 to Q3 using a DMM that measured HFE and the pedal sounded slightly better to my ears, mildly more mid rangy. Now that I have a Peak Atlas DCA55, I have been able to more accurately measure the transistor characteristics.

With an ambient temperature of 76-77 degrees Fahrenheit and handling the transistors with forceps after they were pulled more than a week ago, I got the following measurements for Q1 through Q3.

Q1: HFE 81, Leakage 376uA
Q2: HFE 90, Leakage 453uA
Q3: HFE 134, Leakage 181uA

Are the current leakages acceptable for Q1 and Q2?

On some forums I have seen that leakages measured above 500 as being designated “bad” transistors, 300-500 suspect, and 100-200 acceptable. I tried to measure the values in as optimal conditions as I could - room temperature without handling the transistors with my fingers as not to transfer body heat to them.

I know the ears are the final test, but I wanted to make sure my transistors were up to an acceptable level with regard to leakage. I know some leakage is required in benders through my reading of the subject, especially at Q1.