Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:56 pm 

I have been an electronics hobbyist for some years, but out of it for many. I'm back and have built several kits with mixed success. I have some that are working and some that are not. The only BYOC kit that is working it the Crown Jewel, and it does literally NOTHING. I've reflowed the solder joints and it looks pretty clean to me. No lights and no relay noises when pressing switches. seemingly dead. I am reading voltages at pin one of the ICs that seem to correspond to what I have seen listed in the some other questions posted. Based on pics posted the relays are soldered in correctly. I am completely non-plussed, they can't BOTH be bad. at least half of this thing should be working! Please assist an old guy revisiting his youth when he successfully built Heathkit stuff with no problems! (A dual trace Oscilloscope at 15, but obviously not so much anymore!) I'm attaching links to pics of both side of the board with the pots pulled away for a good view (where possible.) I appreciate ANY help!

Last edited by mparis666 on Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:57 pm 

mparis666 wrote:
I'm attaching links to pics of both side of the board with the pots pulled away for a good view (where possible.)

Umm, what links? :?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:47 am 

OK, I apologize, I am new to the forum and thought I attached two pictures to the posting. How do I do that so you can see them?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:00 am 

No apology necessary. You can post your photos to a publicly accessible hosting site and display or link them here, or post them directly here using the forum's file attachment function (found below the main posting text box). If you use the latter, know that there is a 1 Mb size limit for image files, so it may be necessary to reduce their dimensions or their color depth to get them below that size limit. Any of a number of image editing applications will allow you to do this. I often recommend IrfanView for this purpose, since it is free and very easy to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:14 pm 

OK I hope this now works. I created a shared public album on Google photos. All my pictures available for this should be at https://photos.app.goo.gl/6piPBhX1JpBWHXZF7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:19 pm 

Aha! This is exactly why we ask to see photos. You've switched the positions of the 7660S and 12F609 IC's (see below). Swap them and then see where you're at.

Attachment:
CJ_IC_swap.jpg
CJ_IC_swap.jpg [ 137.01 KiB | Viewed 504 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:11 pm 

We now have a fully functional Crown Jewel! I THANK YOU!!! As noob to your site, how do we acquire the graphics/decals for the pedals once we paint plain metal cases?
I also want to offer a service if it can be of use... I have a 3-D Printer and would be willing to print small parts for you and others who needs them if the model was supplied for the cost of shipping and offset of the materials cost. If that would be of any use for anyone. I have the advantage of being single with no life... So I can help if it would be of use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:31 pm 

That's great news! What changed between your initial post preceding this one and your edit? Do both 9V and 18V modes work?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:44 pm 

It was plugged in backwards, Out to in and vice versa. without markings I had to download the PDF again before I got it all correct. THEN everything was working correctly, and tested good. I will let you know about the 18v.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:24 pm 

Re: graphics for the enclosure, there are several options. Some builders just paint or print on the enclosure freehand. Some use ink stamps. For a more professional look, waterslide or stick-on decals are popular. The vast majority of my own BYOC builds (see links in my forum signature, below) are finished with waterslides. You will generally need to design & print them yourself on decal stock, or find someone else here on the forum who might be able to share their design with you. (You also might want to look into what THIS GUY did with his Crown Jewel, though this approach is quite expensive.) Do a search in the DIY Discussion forum on "waterslide decals" or "enclosure finishing" and you should find quite a bit of useful information.