Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:30 pm 

I just received my Super 8. I'm going thru my BOM and I got 7 2N5088 and 1 2N5458. Now, I have extra 2N5088 transistors but here is my question: on the 5088's I got from BYOC, what looks like f J08 is before the 2N5088 label. On mine, it is f 605. Does this matter? I'm assuming not as they are both 2N5088's but I thought I'd ask before I start building. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:37 pm 

f is the manufacturer most likely (fairchild semiconductor), the other stuff is a date or lot code. You only need to worry about the 2n5088 part of it.

It hurts me to say this.. but.. follow me on facebook and.. :( instagram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:00 pm 

spin wrote:
f is the manufacturer most likely (fairchild semiconductor), the other stuff is a date or lot code. You only need to worry about the 2n5088 part of it.

Kinda what I figured but wanted a second opinion before I started soldering. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:54 pm 

I think this is a issue with my build.

I received 6 3904's and 2 2n5458s.

I didn't realize that was a problem until I soldered everything up and began testing.

The 2 channels with 5458s the LED's wouldn't go off and relays turn on immediately after power is applied. I reflowed all soldering, that didn't work, I followed the advice in this thread http://www.byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=56180 and I desoldered the relays on those channels and their transistors.

I began with one channel. Checked for the 5V with components removed, then relay only, then transistor. Failure situation happened after adding transistor.

The soldering is good, and in checking voltages and resistance in that transistor, I learned that the transistor on my failure channel was the only one present and showing different measurements.

I checked part numbering and found that the two that caused failures were 5458s (JFETs) rather than normal NPN (BJTs).

I don't have spares. Any chance you can throw a couple in an envelope with a stamp and mail them to me?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm 

jajoyner wrote:
I just received my Super 8. I'm going thru my BOM and I got 7 2N5088 and 1 2N5458.

You should not have a 2N5458 in the Super 8--that's a JFET and is fundamentally different in function than the 2N5088 which is a BJT. Swap out the 5458 for one of your spare 5088's and see if that gets you running properly. Hold onto that 5458, though--JFETs are handy to have on hand.

dcade42 wrote:
I checked part numbering and found that the two that caused failures were 5458s (JFETs) rather than normal NPN (BJTs).

I don't have spares. Any chance you can throw a couple in an envelope with a stamp and mail them to me?

Yep, that's your problem. Apparently, BYOC received a bunch of BJT's that had some 5458's mixed in. But what you need to do is to send an email to sales@buildyourownclone.com and request the correct BJT's. We're volunteers here in the forum and not BYOC employees (except for Keith/byoc, of course!), so we don't handle the parts. That email address will get you directly to the right person to help you out.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:43 pm 

Thank you. The help means a lot to those of us who are learning. :D