Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:41 pm 

Built and tested and on the home stretch until…

Trying to squeeze everything in there and realized the jack on pcb will not align with holes on enclosure. The pcb actually touches the enclosure and prevents me from moving it to align holes. Also it seems like the holes are not centered on enclosure properly as they are closer to one edge than the other.

Has anyone ran into this b4?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:55 am 

Yessir, long story short, I soldered some extensions to a couple of the legs. I do this all the time for pots, this is the first time I’ve done it for jacks. I even followed the directions and tried to line up the jacks before I soldered every thing. I didn’t have issues with the PCB hitting the enclosure though. You can file off a little of the corner there to make it fit. I don’t see anything but the ground plane in that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:24 am 

jimilee wrote:
I soldered some extensions to a couple of the legs. You can file off a little of the corner there to make it fit.

You had the same problem with the Super 8?
Removing some of the pcb & desoldering the jacks + using jumpers to move them may very well resolve the issue but, getting a properly drilled enclosure would be a lot easier. I only get 1 hole to line up perfect.

The kit wasn’t cheap & I really don’t wanna rig the pcb. Maybe byoc has a good enclosure laying around they can swap out 4 me.

Thx 4 the info jimi :D

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:34 pm 

While I agree, I only had a few in the middle that we’re off. Email sales@buildyourownclone.com see if they will do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm really sorry about that. I see that the holes aren't lining up. But was the initial problem that you couldn't get the PCB into the enclosure? Were the screw hole ribs in the way?

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:05 am 

byoc wrote:
I'm really sorry about that. I see that the holes aren't lining up. But was the initial problem that you couldn't get the PCB into the enclosure? Were the screw hole ribs in the way?

My panties aren't in a bunch - I realize we all make errors & that we try our best. I'm just thankful that you've made it possible to buy high-quality items that sound great at a fraction of the price of other pedals which, often have less flexibility than byoc comparable items.

I can get the PCB into the enclosure no problem but, not thru the holes. I can line up one hole on the edge, however; the opposite side is impossible to line up because the PCB is stopped by the enclosure. even if I grind the PCB down, the jack housing would end up hitting the enclosure. PCB is rev1.2. All in all - the holes are spaces too close.

tested build with success - never soldered LED's as this was the final step.

got this from the CA distributor as it was out of stock on USA site.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Your enclosure is certainly not perfect, but the plastic jack bushings don't need to be fully inserted into each hole in the enclosure. Each jack should have 2 spacers/washers that make the jacks sit flush against the inside of the enclosure. Only the metal ferrule/nut needs to be able to pass through the drilled holes in the enclosure.

If you add all the spacers, and have the jack/PCB assembly only flush against the enclosure, are you able to pass the metal ferrules through the drilled holes and align the PCB so that the ferules can properly thread the jack bushings? First install the IN and OUT ferrules at the far ends of the enclosure very loosely.

Hopefully, that made sense. If this doesn't help, let me know and we'll figure out something else to resolve this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:40 am 

I understand about the bushings - I watched the video linked in the instruction docs.
I can only get one or maybe 2 of the metal ferrules installed on 1 side only. the other side is impossible as the PCB comes in contact with the enclosure (in the pics above) preventing an alignment. Even if I could get on that side, the other side would be a problem. The entire hole pattern is offset more to one side of the enclosure but also is spaced too far apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Okay. We've received your email. I'll contact you shortly to resolve this.