Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:13 am 

The reason why I think tattoos will decline in the next generation is because so many people already have tattoos now so tattoos feel much less edgy compared to back in the 1990s when tattoos had a much more edgier vibe.

Another thing is that in the next generation, when kids see all the moms and dads with tattoos, they will feel that they don’t want to be like mom and dad and grand mom and will skip getting tattoos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:24 am 

Grandma's sleeves will turn little Billy straight-edge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:22 am 

I think you nailed it. Tattoos are pretty mainstream. I have tattoos so I’m not putting them down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 am 

I started getting them when they were still taboo as well. Now I feel like I’m just part of the crowd. I still do it for myself, and I don’t have to cover them up in certain places so I don’t get immediately judged. While I don’t care if I do, sometimes in certain situations, it’s good to break the ice first. I hope that they decline though, nobody seems to remember moderation these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 am 

Tattoos are the ultimate F*** you. Not of you against your parents, but of you against your older self. Just look at your pictures of you back in the zero's, 90's, 80's, 70's or for the really old farts, the 60's. Do you still think you look cool? Some of you probably would, so you can skip my post. Or do you want to call the fashion police? Same with tattoos, only at least with fashion mistakes you can change your clothes. Also, there's still a shitload of jobs that demand that you look and dress respectable. How respectable can you look when not even the longest shirts can cover up your tats emerging from your arms or neckline? And god forbid if you were stupid enough to get facial tattoos. Or tattoos on your stomach. Do you really think that young you, at an age when you are both impressionable and deeply stupid, I was too, gets to make life changing decisions that will impact you for the rest of your life?

By law all permanent tattoos should be forbidden, and all tattoos should be temporary. As in fade after a number of years. And I can say that because I was stupid enough myself to get one. And I thank my lucky stars that I had the smarts not to go for a dumbass skull or tribal design, nor that I had the money to cover my arms in sleeves, which I thought were a smashing good idea for a while. No tattoo has ever made anyone look better. They're like looking at the Mona Lisa and thinking 'hmm, you know what, this would look better if I applied some graffiti'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:53 am 

So, are you saying that I am not respectable because you can see my tattoos? Cool? What is cool anymore? I do it because I like it, I’m not trying to be anything. I have a great job and statistically I am in the upper middle class, so if tattoos makes me less respectable than anyone else, then perhaps you should re evaluate your life.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 am 

I'm not putting tattoos down or the people who have them down. I myself don't "get" tattoos. I simply have never seen or imagined any picture, words, pattern, or whatever that I like enough to permanently imprint it on my body.

I agree that we will see a decline for the exact reasons that Ribspare said in the first post.

I can't get enough minimalism.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am 

I've always taken the "long game" approach with my tattoos. I designed my first 2 when I was 17... didn't have them put on til I was 23. I had to be sure I would still like them. I still do.

And now, at age 40, I'm about to upgrade an inner forearm piece (one of my original teen designs) to a sleeve that will extend onto my chest and back. I've had the idea for about 10 years now, but haven't had the guts/cash/freedom to do it. I figure now I'm a grown ass man with a family and career, I can afford to do what I want to my body without fear of consequences.

I WILL say, however, that all my ink is located in places where it can be hidden with pants and a long-sleeved shirt. No face/neck tats here. That shit is just begging to be discriminated against.

Also, I'm a big fan of the new "erasable" tattoo inks. I feel like that's the way they should all go. Permanent, except when exposed to a very specific frequency of laser light - then they disappear. That said, I won't be doing erasable for my new work... I figure 10 years is a long enough "test period" lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:16 pm 

C’mon, we’ve all got that one what the hell was I thinking tattoo. I have several that can be hidden, but I do have a small one on my finger, and one on my wrist. It’s so common place anymore, we’re no longer rebels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 am 

Was debating getting something on my hands but can’t pull the trigger.
Only way you see my tattoos is if I take off my shirt. Kind of like it that way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:45 am 

I'm working on a half-sleeve (upper half) for my left arm, but fear that when it's on, I'll want to wear shirts with the sleeves cut off, like Mac in It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Not sure how I feel about that...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:14 pm 

I have a guitar tattoo on my left forearm. Can be covered completely with a long sleeve shirt, and is visible when playing, which is kinda fun.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 pm 

Despite my prediction of tattoos declining in the future, I also predict that temporary tattoos will get better, last significantly longer and become more popular.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:59 pm 

Muad'zin wrote:
No tattoo has ever made anyone look better.

Way late to the conversation, but I know of at least a few ladies who can prove this statement wrong ... and I know some ladies who know of a few guys who can prove this statement wrong.

Looking forward to the day when being 100% tattoo free makes me cool ... hopefully sooner than later, I need all the help I can get!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 pm 

When I was young, a friend's personal motto was "Just Do It!"... So he got it tattooed on his arm. Then it became Nike's ad slogan.

For a very long time my personal mantra/philosophy in life has been "Rise Above". Whether dealing with work issues, temptation, taking shortcuts, anger, or whatever, it always seems to help if I stop and think about it. I sometimes considered getting a tattoo of that, but feared I too would end up with some corporation's advertising slogan permanently on my arm.

Then this summer came the news about the "rise above" organization...Now I shudder to think what it would be like if I had that tattooed on my arm.