Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Laser engraving machine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 am 

k.. thought I would start my own thread
I have decided that I want one of these regardless
what would be the min machine I would need to burn the paint off of an enclosure ?
I don't want to engrave into the aluminum just burn off the powder coat or paint
would this be a good start
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-New- ... 68674.html

Last edited by RiffRaff on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:23 am 

I think the best advice is to spend as much time reading ahead of time so that you know what you are getting and what you aren't getting at any given price point.

The first thing to understand is what each type of laser does. If you are looking to etch paint/powder coat from an enclosure, you are talking about a CO2 laser. This won't etch metal, regardless of laser power; it's the wrong frequency. For etching metal, you need a Yag or Fiber laser. The cool thing is that CO2 lasers can do a lot of things. They can etch paint, powder coat, anodized metal, acrylic, glass, wood, and a bunch of other materials. It can also cut acrylic, matboard, wood, and a bunch of other materials.

It doesn't take much power to etch metal boxes. The power of the laser tube comes into play in the speed of the etch and, even more so, in the thickness of the material you want to cut. For reference, we etch boxes with a 30W laser.

So what does one look for in a laser engraver?

Software: This is my biggest compliant about the cheaper machines. Sure they aren't as heavy duty, but this is usually what can make a cheaper machine frustrating. Make sure it can handle vector formats, such as Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw. Some of them just support JPG and GIF. The better machines use a standard Windows print driver so you can print from any program to it. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but when you are trapped using bad software, it can get frustrating. Some of the companies out there have made a decent chunk of money taking an $800 laser engraver and adding new controller boards and software to it to make it usable.

Hardware: Not surprisingly, the better machines use better, more accurate motors. I would check the specifications on the motor type and tolerances of the machine. Unfortunately, some of the cheaper machines vastly overstate their capabilities here. I am not sure what you can do to avoid that except read as much as possible. Calibration is a BIG thing with laser engraving. Repeatability can be a challenge even with the better machines. It can be frustrating when you engrave a power coated enclosure and it's off-center. Make sure the machine can adjust for it (not all can). Companies will make a big deal about auto-focus. It's convenient at times, but not necessary; I don't think it's worth spending a lot extra for. The main thing is that you can manually calibrate the machine accurately. Also double check the X-Y-Z bed dimensions to make sure they suit your needs.

Venting: This is the most underestimated part of buying a laser. It needs proper ventilation. If you only ever etch powder coat/paint, it's a bit less of an issue, but most people end up using their laser to cut materials (if for no other reason that to make etching fixtures). You need air flow while the machine is running. Without it, you can burn your house down. I've seen acrylic burst into open flames when the air wasn't turned on. Usually this is done with a small compressor and fan.

Serviceability: Laser engravers have some consumable parts and other parts will just wear down with use. In the first couple of years with the one at work, we had to change a number of parts and we would've been up a creek if there were no replacement parts. If you go with a Chinese vendor, I recommend finding one that's been in business for a while and offers replacement parts. Expecting that the laser tube will have to be changed every 2 years or so (give or take). From what I read, the cheaper machines go through tubes faster, but the tubes are MUCH cheaper, so that's an advantage for those types.

Good luck on your search. In the other thread I said I wasn't able to find a cheap Chinese machine that suited my particular needs, but plenty of people do. I hope you can find one that suits yours. After doing a bunch of reading, my only real strong recommendation is to avoid Precision Laser. I've read too many horror stories from their customers over the years. Again, read for yourself and decide what matters to you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:43 am 

Wow.. thanks for the great info
looks like a c02 laser is the way to go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:43 am 

Good luck on your search, Riff Raff.

Also, check out Sawmillcreek.org. There's a lot of good info there

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:04 pm 

:)
well I decided to start small
I figure this one will engrave guitar straps and picks and the grand children's craft projects an
such! I'll see how it does and go from there.
I've played with the software and it seems very simple and easy to use
and today the price was right $219.00
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-New- ... 68674.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:20 am 

I'll be curious to see how that works out. It's a 500mW laser, which is closer to a DVD laser than most CO2 tubes. They also list it as a YAG laser, which is very interesting.

Take those glasses seriously. Other than the glasses, there is no protection for your eyes from the laser. Most engravers are enclosed for that reason. I don't think this thing would pass any US or Canada safety requirements. I am sure you can handle yourself, but I wouldn't let the grandkids anywhere near it.

Good luck and show us some of the results!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 am 

Man, I'd love to see an experiment where someone tried etching into a powdercoated aluminum box with one of these cheap 3000mW etchers like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KKmoon-3000mW-New-High-Speed-Laser-Engraving-Machine-USB-DIY-Laser-Engraver-Printer-Automatic-Handicraft-Wood/32915870658.html

If something decent looking could be etched into the paint, I'd probably pull the trigger on one. I have no desire or expectation to etch metal, but powdercoat, yes! At around $100, I'd be okay with it breaking down after 50 pedals or so :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

I don’t know that he messed with this one, but culturejam went through three or four cheap engravers testing them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk