Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:49 pm 

Okay.

Cruising the used section of the GC site. Idly looking at extension cabs; the IRS was nice to me this year.

It's my understanding that plywood (birch seeming to be the most preferred) is the better/best material for cabs. Here's my question: taking the speakers out of the question, is there any real difference between 4x12 cabs from different manufacturers?

Another way: Is a used 1960a really worth 3x as much - even used! - as a Blackstar, Ampeg, or Laney cab. Even with the Marshall cab, I would probably swap out the speakers (it's what readers of this board do: customize). Is that price difference legit, or is the market paying for the badge and the stock speakers?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 am 

The differences can be fairly substantial to the discerning ear. Since you're asking, I'll gather that you care and therefore have at least something of a discerning ear. You'll notice differences between cabs based on the things you mention and more: slant or straight, speaker selection, closed or open back, size, construction, etc.. For example, I have 3 cabs, a 1960a, a Soldano and a Crate ... each of them is rather easily differentiated from the other when playing through the same head with the same guitar. I'd definitely recommend finding a shop (hey, you know, a local shop rather than a GC if possible, right?) with a couple of the cabs that interest you, bring your head and guitar in and crank it up in their isolation room.

EDIT: assuming the cab is of the same construction, size and configuration with the same speakers, I cannot imagine that there's a difference between manufacturers.

EDIT EDIT: see the comment below - if there's ever a difference of opinion between Mr. Granville Guitars and I about something like this, definitely listen to him first!

Last edited by rnagoda on Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:32 pm 

I have used and auditioned over 100 cabs in my shop over the years.

It's my considered opinion that absolutely nothing sounds as good as a Marshall.

Not really sure why, but there you go.

I prefer the old school ones with a single jack.

The switching jack plates always develop issues.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 pm 

Many thanks Gentlemen.

Both answers seem to confirm my intuition, even though they're slightly at odds. But in the main, we'll defer to Mr. caster.

Yeah, in general, I don't find 1960 cabs unreasonably priced (350-400 used when they come through the local GC), but I'm not wild about the stock G12t-75s. So it was always: "If I'm likely to swap out the speakers anyway..." and that inclined me towards something offbrand and lower-priced.

It's hard to get a straight answer sometimes on particular downmarket cabs. Google, obviously no help, and you find yourself wading through boards full of people saying that a cab "rhulz" or "sucks balls!" And you're like, "yeah but what if you got rid of the OEM speakers which seem to be the least impressive Celestions that bear the name." One goes down these rabbit-holes far enough, and you find two guys debating pine versus birch with all the fervor of the Protestant Reformation. :roll: :shock:

But it does make you wonder how much these things matter and what truly does.

Champagne problems (my Fender Prosonic is admittedly plenty loud already; a 4x12 is arguably self-indulgent), but I'm glad for your insights. Everyone on this board has always struck me as reasonable and civil, a delightful contrast to the internet in general.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:33 pm 

I think that a big part of the Marshall cabinet's superiority is not only that they invented it and have had longer to get good at it, but also that they use better materials in general. Birch ply is the preferred medium for these cabs. Quality birch can be difficult to find. One of my other favorite cab suppliers is Mojotone. They use only high quality birch plywood and NO CNC. Why is this important? Since Mojotone does everything by hand, they must use higher quality wood. Hand work is unforgiving. If you use CNC you can uses whatever plywood you can get cheap because the machine will cut out flawless pieces. All Granville products use cabinets from Mojotone for this reason.