Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NGD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:51 pm 

This is a Mini T kit from Stewmac ($99.00). Specs are as follows: 16.3" (414mm) scale length with 1-5/8" nut width, Mahogany body and neck and classic Tele-style hardtail bridge and chrome hardware. This was more of a finishing project than anything else. I never realized how much sanding and filling goes into getting a smooth finish! The instructions say that it can be built in a weekend. That is probably a true statement IF you put very minimal effort into the finishing part. I worked on this one, off and on for just over 3 months. The body and neck were filled and sanded (3 times) with an Ebony filler. The body is stained in “Cherry Mahogany” and the neck “Straw”. Both received 12 coats of wipe on polyurethane because I knew I was going to buff it and wanted plenty of room if mistakes were going to made.

I installed a set of set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky's (8's) as recommended. It is currently tuned A to A (like a capo at the 5th fret). After spending several hours on the getting the set up correct, it plays quite nicely. Strumming chords is a bit of a challenge for my 'fat fingers' but solo's and riffing are quite fun! I initially bought this thinking it would be a great starter guitar for my 7 year old granddaughter. However after playing it I have concluded she’d have a very tough time because of the effort it takes to play it. Alas, it is destined to be ‘wall art’. Stewmac does make Strat and Les Paul versions so maybe it won’t be hanging on the wall by its self…

Thanks for looking...
-=Steve0

Attachments:
Finished_10-18-2022.jpg
Finished_10-18-2022.jpg [ 522.84 KiB | Viewed 3653 times ]
Strat+Mini.jpg
Strat+Mini.jpg [ 666.19 KiB | Viewed 3653 times ]
Mini T #2.jpg
Mini T #2.jpg [ 457.92 KiB | Viewed 3653 times ]

Post subject: Re: NGD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:07 pm 

Nice job, I love the body color. I hear you about the "finishing project." I see making partscasters as needing (1) electrical work (2) mechanical work (3) woodworking and (4) wood finishing. I've got no problem with (1), I'm fine on (2), I can get by on (3) if I don't look too hard at the results, and I suck at (4).

Is the effort to play it something that will get easier with her age, or is it more of a setup issue? I have wondered about getting one of those for myself to stash in the office for when I need to further annoy my colleagues. But I would want it to be nominally playable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:12 pm 

WMP1 wrote:
Nice job, I love the body color. I hear you about the "finishing project." I see making partscasters as needing (1) electrical work (2) mechanical work (3) woodworking and (4) wood finishing. I've got no problem with (1), I'm fine on (2), I can get by on (3) if I don't look too hard at the results, and I suck at (4).
I am with you on that 100%!

WMP1 wrote:
Is the effort to play it something that will get easier with her age, or is it more of a setup issue? I have wondered about getting one of those for myself to stash in the office for when I need to further annoy my colleagues. But I would want it to be nominally playable.

Yes, it would get easier as she got older but I don't want to discourage her from playing because there are much easier guitars to learn on. I can noodle around on it for 30 minutes or so with no issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:04 pm 

Get her a ukulele. The chord shapes transfer over to guitar. That was my own gateway drug when I was a lad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:15 am 

Playability concerns aside, it sure looks great!

Incidentally, I suck at #3 and #4! :oops:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:45 am 

The time and effort really show through here. Very well done.

+1 on the uke suggestion. That's how my older son learned, and he went on to become a monster bass player.

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:17 pm 

Thank you gents for the kind words and the Uke suggestions. I don't know why, but a " Uke" never crossed my mind (palm plant to the forehead). I think I'll go shopping for her Christmas gift this weekend!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:20 pm 

P.S. I like the wine-red Strat, too!! :mrgreen:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2