Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fralin vs Bareknuckle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:00 am 

how many of you lot out have Fralins ?
and are they really as good as people say?
I have Bareknuckle pups in all my guitars they are very very good but I might try something different for my next project.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 am 

Fralins are nice. Smooth and sweet. I've never owned any, but a buddy of mine I used to play with had them in two or three of his guitars. Problem, of course, is price. The price isn't horrible(75-85 for most singlecoils, 120-140 for humbuckers), but you can get some equally nice pup sets from other companies. for the same price.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:16 am 

I'm thinking of getting some bareknuckle pickups in the future, unfortunately a set of 2 costs nearly as much as my new guitar just did

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:37 pm 

i am going to purchase some fralin humbuckers for my brand new epiphone SG, any day now!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 pm 

I used to work at a small guitar repair shop and lots of our clients asked for the Franlin's so I've played a bunch and liked them all. I don't think you can go wrong with a set of Lindy's pickups.

Also, I spoke with Mr Fralin on a couple of occasions and he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. He even did some special windings for some of our customers.

Give them a try and if you find you don't like them, you could always Ebay them and expect a reasonable return. They are after all pretty well liked.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:09 pm 

Fuzzdawg wrote:
i am going to purchase some fralin humbuckers for my brand new epiphone SG, any day now!!!

Hey Fuzzdude... check out the Wagner WCR pups before you get the Fralin's. I was a Fralin user for years and now all of my HB guitars have Wagners. His Crossroads set is a dead-on PAF clone. I have a set in my ES-335. But my favorites are the Fillmore set that's designed to emulate Dwayne Allman's sound on the infamous Fillmore East recordings. I have those in my LP R7 Goldtop. My LP R9 has Darkbursts which are AC/DC all the way. The Moore/Green set looks interesting too... might just have to buy a guitar to try them... :shock: :mrgreen:

You should check them out....

Wagner WCR pups

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:49 am 

baj2k wrote:
Hey Fuzzdude... check out the Wagner WCR pups before you get the Fralin's. Wagner WCR pups

believe it or not, i have actually been to jim wagner's house. he lives about 60 miles from here. i was really impressed with his pickups...

until i put them in my guitar. then i just thought they were ok. i have a SSH strat that i had WCRs in (singles, then darkburst). it's a good guitar but not incredible sounding.