Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:51 am 

Guys, I'm a complete newbie. I've never been much for pedals at all until recently, when my band started using a few random toys. After seeing the stuff here of some of the stuff you guys are building, I have to say I am so utterly impressed. I really really mean that.

I would love to start building some of these pedals myself, but I dunno if my soldering skills are very good. I mean, half the time I screw up soldiering a new guitar pickup in.

One thing I am pretty good at is refinishing a guitar. I imagine finishing an aluminum box would be a lot easier. I also happen to like to screw bits of things together.

So here's what I'm thinking. Maybe a one...or even a few people could make me a ready-to-go kit that I could assemble. I dunno. Just an idea. any takers?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:11 am 

Place an order and Keith (the man behind BYOC) gives you the option to get the Confidence Booster kit with your first kit order (see home page). Try to solder it up and if you can't or don't like feeling of total satisfaction that we all get from building our own pedals....return the main kit and keep the confidence booster. You are only risking a few bucks on shipping.

Try it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am 

Order a kit and ask for the free confidence booster.
Take your time building the confidence booster. practice your soldering skills. Thats all you need to learn at this stage basically.
You can do it, trust me. They are having a great sale starting tomorrow. Buy 3 get the Phaser free. Or just start with one kit. What pedal or pedals are you interested in? Before you build the pedal of your choice, take a good solid half an hour atleast and READ through the Forum for that pedal. You will begin whatever pedal project with a better sense of knowing about the build, mod options, trouble spots, etc.
Then make sure all components are where they should be, transistors and electrolytic caps are aligned correctly.
Keep wires short with no leads poking out that can short something.
thats all there is to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:03 am 

[quote=I imagine finishing an aluminum box would be a lot easier.quote]

For me building a pedal is easy. Finishing the box with stickers and decals and paint is more of a headache. I want what I build to look pretty good though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 am 

Here's a great video on proper soldering technique...

http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/tt02.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:39 am 

alvagoldbook wrote:
Maybe a one...or even a few people could make me a ready-to-go kit that I could assemble. I dunno. Just an idea. any takers?

Ummm, that's kind of what this whole site is about: the ready-to-go kits that BYOC sells.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:54 pm 

Uhhh...trust me...if I can build a pedal...anyone can do it. I've built pedals from start to finish before, and about the only thing I know about guitars/pedals is that they make WAY too much noise during nap time! :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

BYOC's wife wrote:
Uhhh...trust me...if I can build a pedal...anyone can do it. I've built pedals from start to finish before, and about the only thing I know about guitars/pedals is that they make WAY too much noise during nap time! :P

You're pretty good at soldering those "motherboards"...I'll give you that. I think women are naturally better at things that require patience and delicate fine motor skills. That's probably when when ever you see electronics assembly lines where there is soldering being done, all the workers are women.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Matt wrote:
BYOC's wife wrote:

Keith - should I make her a moderator?

M

Dude...c'mon. Don't give her any ideas.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:57 pm 

byoc wrote:
BYOC's wife wrote:

You're pretty good at soldering those "motherboards"...I'll give you that. I think women are naturally better at things that require patience and delicate fine motor skills. That's probably when when ever you see electronics assembly lines where there is soldering being done, all the workers are women.

Solder Ladies are cool.
Back in the day there would be rows and rows of them, cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, smoke wafting off their hot irons. Bubble gum in their smock pockets, pictures of their families on the corners of their benches. They worked magic on boards and wires, Work that would put HIWATT to shame. Hearts of gold, helping young engineers and keeping them from looking stoopid.
That was America.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:29 am 

AmberBock wrote:

Solder Ladies are cool.
Back in the day there would be rows and rows of them, cigarettes hanging out of their mouths, smoke wafting off their hot irons. Bubble gum in their smock pockets, pictures of their families on the corners of their benches. They worked magic on boards and wires, Work that would put HIWATT to shame. Hearts of gold, helping young engineers and keeping them from looking stoopid.
That was America.

holy crap,...i gotta little choked up there! that was amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:13 am 

noshoeswlkrsn wrote:
AmberBock wrote:

Solder Ladies are cool.
That was America.

holy crap,...i gotta little choked up there! that was amazing!

I used to QC at a place like this. It was exactly like AmberBock described it, minus the dangling cigaretters. I was very well paid, but alas, I was ousted via politics - LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:53 am 

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
For me building a pedal is easy. Finishing the box with stickers and decals and paint is more of a headache. I want what I build to look pretty good though.

Big +1...

Btw, Paranoid, love the Jimmie Jazz quote. But what do I know, I'm so pilled up that I rattle...

-Subba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:01 am 

Quote:
It was the clown makeup wasn't it?

In a sense, in one way it was the clown makeup that helped my termination occur - LOL. Being in QC, you can bet yer boo-boo that you're going to get into arguments with the various production people. I got along great with all of the ladies in the through-hole/hand-soldering area. They were real sweet to me and were always bringing me all kinds of goodies to eat - LOL. The surface mount department, however, was ran by a bunch of dicks. They tried to cut as many corners as possible to get things out. You wouldn't believe some of the junk they tried to get passed QC. They literally cost the company hundreds and thousands of dollars!!! I mean, we built a lot of expensive assmeblies for the medical and military industries. We built one series of prototype boards that each had a surface mounted QFP that cost $1500 a chip!!! The manager of this department was a horse's ass incarnate. All he cared about was getting jobs out as fast as could, quality be damned. He was very agressive, in a very negative way. He would openly harass every department that was responsible for getting job materials for his jobs. He harassed the manager of the parts department so much that he made her cry and she walked out. Mind you, this girl was very tough. Many people complained about this guy and nothing was ever done about him. Management would just look at his production numbers and blow off the complaints. The thing is, anybody who behaved this way and happened to be of a minority race, would be fired immediatley. Although not a racial myself, I was very outspoken about this guy, and as correct as I was about him, I probably should've kept my mouth shut. I ended up switching to 3rd shift to get away from this asshole. We went through a period where business was slow and naturally, I was laid off. These people where such morons that they had security on stand-by just in case I decided to flip. I heard one time a guy punched out one of the owners when he got fired - LOL. he only thing I did was e-mail everyone in management a picture of my kids with the caption "Thanks for firing me and making it more difficult to feed my kids!". That was a real immature thing to do, but it seemed so right at the time. Needless to say, I can honestly say that I would not recommend anyone to pursue a career in QC. Everything wrong is almost always your fault - LOL. The funny thing is, every time I build a pedal, I feel like I'm getting back at them. I had to go so many classes and certifications that acquired a vast knowledge of parts, soldering, and processes. I even aced the IPC-A610 course, which is a real bitch - LOL. This company was literally the Abyss, but at the same time, I wouldn't be nearly as good of a builder as I am today if it weren't for spending four years working for these Satanists - LOL :twisted: