Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:41 pm 

Its always the pedals you leave behind that you remember most fondly (or you're happy as h3ll you could get rid of it, one of the two).

The BYOC Beaver (I think it had all old Beavers in 1? Was that a thing?) in an enclosure covered in dead bugs I had gathered (I know a little Renfield, but it looked AWESOME) and then covered in clear resin that I sold on Alberta Street in Portland.

The set of 10 modded out Lazy Sprockets I built of which I ended up never being able to get rid of 5, which somehow I now have 0.

The chorus pedal decorated with many "clone" (get it) pictures of my ex-girlfriend when she was in a Rococo themed fashion show (similar to the variegated Alice in Wonderland booster below).

Those ones only exist in memory now...and possibly in someone's house somewhere.

But here are my old builds that I still have. I am just now waiting on my first order in probably 10 years, a Scrambled Octave, and I am very excited.

Thanks for checking 'em out!

A 3-knobbed BYOC 2-Knob Bender.
The 3rd knob is a voltage cut knob.

The BYOC Octave Down.
I can't remember what this pedal was called, nor if any of the switches are mods or not.

The BYOC Ping-Pong Digital Delay.
The second foot switch instantly turns up the FEEDBACK all the way or if a volume-pedal type potentiometer is plugged in, it switches between the knob set feedback and the "volume-pedal" set feedback.
All knobs on this pedal can be controlled via such a "volume-pedal" potentiometer pedal, just plugging in such a pedal to a given knobs jack (on the sides of the pedal) turns off the knob setting and switches to the "volume-pedal" control. (Except previously mentioned FEEDBACK).

The BYOC Envelope Filter & Fixed Wah.
The mods on this include two 2-setting finger switches which allows switching between 3 different capacitors thus changing tone (thickness).
The extra foot-switch switches the sweep from thick-to-thin to thin-to-thick.

The BYOC Analog Delay.
This mods on this include 1 extra foot switch that allows switching between 2 different TIME settings.
The third foot switch instantly turns up the FEEDBACK all the way or if a volume-pedal type potentiometer is plugged in, it switches between the knob set feedback and the "volume-pedal" set feedback.

Wider view.

This is a route switcher I designed. It's not working at the moment. Because Rickenbacker 360's can send each pickup to different amps I had this to switch which pickup went through which effects and to which amp.

This is the BYOC Tri-Boost (I think it was called?) Sadly, this one is not working at the moment either. I think when trying to remove the broken dial switch I f'd up the PCB. If anyone has a spare one I'd love to get this pedal working again.
The gold background is variegated gold leaf.

The broken buddies. :(

I also built a BYOC wah pedal. I put two switches on the side which I assume are mods. One changes the thickness of the sound, the other kinda changes the tone. Ambiguous I know. Sadly, my pot is scratchy as F so I can't really use it. Any suggestions on good pots that will last?

Last edited by JHC on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:34 am 

Nice stuff! Looking forward to seeing your 2.0 builds!

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:10 am 

Thanks!

sjaustin wrote:
Nice stuff! Looking forward to seeing your 2.0 builds!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:20 pm 

That's some really unique artwork!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:40 pm 

Thanks. I guess in case anyone cares:

The 2 Knobbed Bender -> The image is of a man I met at Parque Cultural Ex-Carcel in Valparaiso, Chile. Carcel in Spanish means prison. The Ex-Carcel is a former prison. When I was there they were renting jail cells to artists as art studios and they held several awesome night concerts leading up to New Years Eve in the open prison yard. The entire place was covered with art. The man on pedal was one of the people in charge of the place.
He had also been a prisoner under the CIA installed fascist dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet.

The Octave Down is decorated with an actual leaf and moth/butterfly. I thought the leaf skeleton was cool, and around the time I was pouring resin on it I found the corpse of the moth/butterfly.

The Ping-Pong Delay is decorated with a picture I took of an early morning airport runway covered with frost and criss-crossed with plane and luggage cart tire tracks. This was incidentally while waiting for my plane to take off on my way to the above mentioned vacation in Chile.

The Fixed Wah & Envelope Filter is clearly my crown jewel of decoration. Like Coltrane and Dali my late works radiate genius through simplicity.

The Analog Delay is decorated with a print out of a direct scan I did of a lino-cut my cousin did. The image is of Winged Victory of Samothrace. An image of the goddess Nike (sans head obviously). My cousin is a very talented artist.

The route switcher is of a picture of what was a somewhat common park decoration in Chile when I was there. Basically a ball on a pole with tube lights radiating out from it. The lights switched on and off and changed colors. It was a pretty cool sight.

The Tri-Boost is covered in variegated gold leaf (which is fun stuff to work with, you can get non-variegated and silver and copper colors as well), it is a lot shinier than the picture shows.
The image on the Tri-Boost is a woodblock print of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. The woodblock print was created by an artist, who I met in Chile, in a jail cell in Parque Cultural Ex-Carcel, which was her art studio. I bought the print from her for something like a couple dollars.
That image was then scanned and printed out at increasing sizes. They start at the floor on the left side of the pedal as very small Alices and continue to the floor on the right side of pedal, increasing in size. Get it? Boost? I wish I had flipped the image and had the growth in the opposite direction as that's the signal path and what happens to the signal (it grows...get it?). But, I didn't, and so what, wanna fight about it? ;) jk

Original Chris Evans wrote:
That's some really unique artwork!

Last edited by JHC on Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm 

Yeah, I was admiring your finish work, too. Very distinctive!!

JHC wrote:
....Like Coltrane and Dali my late works radiate genius through simplicity.

And your talent is exceeded only by your humility!! ;)

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:23 pm 

Well, look at the script that LED is written in on the enclosure. Just like a "perfect call" we keep hearing about, its...."perfect".

duhvoodooman wrote:
Yeah, I was admiring your finish work, too. Very distinctive!!

JHC wrote:
....Like Coltrane and Dali my late works radiate genius through simplicity.

And your talent is exceeded only by your humility!! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 pm 

JHC wrote:
Well, look at the script that LED is written in on the enclosure. Just like a "perfect call" we keep hearing about, its...."perfect".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2