Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tele Build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 am 

Thought I'd try to have some fun with my current tele build and post a thread on the process.

So, my main guitar since 2006 has been a 2005 Fender Highway 1 Telecaster I got off ebay for around $500.

I loved the feel and playability of this instrument, but was never completely happy with the sound. The bridge pickup sounded good enough, but even after trying a few different pickups, I was never able to find something I really liked in the neck position. Everything was too muddy, not enough bite, and didn't balance with the bridge pickup the way I wanted it to (i.e. dialing the sound I wanted on the bridge pickup made the neck sound worse). I also decided that I wanted to add a little wiggle to it via a Bigsby. Eventually, I met a guy playing an alder Strat with 2 P-90's in it; the neck pickup sound in that thing was right along the lines of what I was looking for. About that same time, I played some of the Fender Road Worn series guitars and some other "relic'd" guitars and found myself completely sold on the feel of these instruments, if not so much the look. My '94 Stratocaster with that old polyester finish still looks and feels brand new. I can't stand it. Plus, the plastic-ey finish sticks to my arms when I sweat. Hate that too. These thin, worn down nitro finishes feel so good to me - gotta have it. So I decided I had to have a tele with a P-90 in the neck, with a Bigsby, and a thin nitro finish. No problem, right? My Hwy 1 Tele is thin nitro and I've worn it down over the years. My dilemma was that I really liked my guitar, and being the weird-o softy I am sometimes :roll: , couldn't bring myself to desecrate this fine instrument by routing and screwing in mods other people might find useless. So I decided to start from scratch and leave my guitar alone.

A year or so ago, I came across a 1973 F-Logo Bigsby B5 for auction (the year I was born!). I low-balled the auction and ended up winning it for < $75. Sweet! The hunt begins.

Image Image

After considering lots of different types Telecasters, and falling deeply in love with Fano Alt De Facto guitars, I fell into an obsession with MJT's work on the double bound black teles I kept finding in their eBay auctions. Like this:

I finally formed a solid plan. I had a '73 B5 to build the project around, I now needed to have a black, double bound, alder tele body, with a P-90 in the neck, and MJT could finish a guitar and hardware for me to roughly match the condition of the old Bigsby. I get the feel I want from the finish, amenities I've convinced myself I "need", and I can pretend that the aging process on the guitar is legit because I have a vintage part on the guitar, made the same year I was, that everything is being matched to. Check out what they did for Matt with his Clarence White tele: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32066

With a plan set in stone, I viciously low-balled (yes, I'm cheap!) every black double bound MJT auction in 2011, to no avail. Every damned one of those things went for $650+ which was out of my budget. Finally, July came and the band was flush with half a dozen decent to well-paying gigs. Plus, my wife and son went on vacation for half the month while I stayed home to work, and I was able to crank out a half-dozen pedals to sell. At the end of the month, I found myself with a healthy nut to spend as I pleased, and then a couple of eBay gift certificates were awarded to me for my birthday in early August. Sweet! I bit the bullet, contacted MJT and ordered a neck/body/hardware kit straight from them.

Man, talk about customer service! Working with MJT has been an absolute pleasure! They are extremely customer oriented and will hold your hand through the entire process. I sent them photos of my B5 for matching the hardware, a Bigsby tele bridge plate to age in lieu of an ashtray bridge, and a custom headstock decal I had made up that they are going to install under the finish coats. Matt with MJT just sent me photos of the body yesterday to check that the wear pattern is what I'm looking for. Here's the actual body with no clear coat applied yet.

Image Image

Perfect! I tell you, that wear pattern is nearly exactly like my 2005 Hwy 1. Same amount of fore arm rub that I wore into my guitar, no weird simulated buckle rash on the back that I never get myself. Sweet!

More to come as things trickle in. Man, I can't wait for this thing to get here.

Post subject: Re: Tele Build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:09 pm 

Yes! Im loving this. Besides sunburst, black double bound is my 2nd favorite from MJT. Weve probably bid against eachother at some point this year too, but my bids never went past like 550-575.

MJT seem like more than wonderful guys. Both father and son emailed me right away about questions I had about building a tele. Im still deciding which way I want to go with all the guitar specs... but. Anyways, so far its beautiful man!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 pm 

SUBSCRIBED!

That's going to be one beautiful guitar! Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:30 pm 

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
Yes! Im loving this. Besides sunburst, black double bound is my 2nd favorite from MJT. Weve probably bid against eachother at some point this year too, but my bids never went past like 550-575.

Ha ha! :lol: :lol: You were out bidding me by a hundred bucks! Ima cheap bastard.

ParanoidAndroid wrote:
MJT seem like more than wonderful guys. Both father and son emailed me right away about questions I had about building a tele. Im still deciding which way I want to go with all the guitar specs... but. Anyways, so far its beautiful man!

Seriously! I've been blown away with how nice they are and how easy they are to deal with. They're super fast too, which I didn't expect at all. They sent me the photos of the body in less than two weeks from the day I placed my order! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm 

grievousangel wrote:
SUBSCRIBED!

That's going to be one beautiful guitar! Looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Thanks! By the way; we are currently working on a version of Grams Parsons' "Luxury Liner". Can't wait to tear into that song with this thing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:07 pm 

Morgan wrote:
grievousangel wrote:
SUBSCRIBED!

Thanks! By the way; we are currently working on a version of Grams Parsons' "Luxury Liner". Can't wait to tear into that song with this thing!

8)

I saw Emmylou performing it on an Old Grey Whistle Test special back in the day; long before I'd even heard of Gram. Just brought a smile to my face watching it again on youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:06 pm 

grievousangel wrote:
Morgan wrote:

8)

I saw Emmylou performing it on an Old Grey Whistle Test special back in the day; long before I'd even heard of Gram. Just brought a smile to my face watching it again on youtube.

:D We got inspired after seeing these guys do the song about a month ago. I sure ain't no Scott Law on the tele though! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:25 pm 

Oh happy day! The postman bringeth goodies to my mailbox...

Pickups

After talking to a few pickup winders trying to trade pedals for pickups, I settled on a set of Lollars. One of the winders told me none of the smaller winders can get a hold of any good material for a decent P-90 and that I should just buy Lollars as he himself couldn't beat their price even with lower grade materials. And a guy over at Lollar let me know that Dennis Fano uses something like a regular Lollar P-90 with a Special T bridge pickup for some of his TC-6 builds. I'm in! And they showed up today.

Image Image

Take Me To The Bridge!

Much deliberation here. Many options for a bridge and many quirks running a bigsby on a tele. I almost went with a notched ashtray bridge; definitely wanted to stay away from the stock Bigsby/Mustang/Jazzmaster/TOM bridges. I didn't want anything that's designed to lean over with the strings, and I'm going with a 9.5" radius neck that presents problems with a mustang bridge since they're generally all 7.5" radius. Plus, I'm a Nels Cline freak. So I sprung for a Mastery Bridge! Screw it; it's an awesome bridge. Gotta appreciate the super high-end boutiqueyness of the packaging! :lol:

Image Image Image Image Image

Route That Neck Pickup Cavity

Might as well do it right, right? I got a P-90 routing template from this guy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310285233985?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 Beauty!

Think I'll practice my plunge routing on 2x4's for a couple weeks while I wait for the body, neck, & rest of the hardware to arrive...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 pm 

Bump.

Sorry, Morgan, but it's been over three weeks since your last post and some of us are waiting for an update on this project! :wink:

What's happening?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:25 pm 

:lol:

UPS says the body is arriving tomorrow! My neighbor is going to route the neck pickup cavity for me, and he's gone this week. So, probably no real work until next week or so. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:52 pm 

The UPS man cometh today!

Ripped it out of the package & bolted the neck on.

Here's a quick dry fit.

Now to wait on the cabinet-maker neighbor to get home so he can route the neck pickup cavity!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:22 pm 

Stunning, bro. I can't wait to get it! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm 

dcountry13 wrote:
Stunning, bro. I can't wait to get it! :lol:

No, no DC...your's will be the "Tikacaster". :wink: Which of course is a baseball bat sawed in half and nailed to a cutting board; plus a pot, a cap, and a resistor. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:53 am 

Wow! That looks SO good.

I'd be camped out on the neighbour's front step so I didn't miss him!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:51 am 

:shock: Puuuuuurty! You will not be disappointed with those Lollars. I have a set of P90s in my Jazzmaster, and I can't put it down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am 

So...tele builders.

This is my first build like this. I sort of thought the pickguard, control plate, bridge, etc. holes would be pre-drilled, but they aren't! :? My current approach is this:

- run some masking tape along the area where the bridge will go,
- measure off 25.5" from the nut/12.75" from the 12th fret, make a line there to center the bridge, (looks like I'll need to do a bit of filling on the pickguard to get there)
- dry fit the bridge plate according to that measurement,
- use all that to fit the pickguard into place and install,
- run a string from the tuners, over the dry-fitted bridge, to the tailpiece to align everything,
- once I get that alignment, install the bridge plate and the bridge body thimbles,
- then install the tailpiece

Any tips on all that? Should I maybe fit the bridge & tailpiece 1st and worry about the pickguard last?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am 

I see you went the "cheap" route for all the hardware and electronics. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:10 am 

Yeah, bargain-basement pickups and bridges and such. :lol: Hell, it was only 5 or 6 gigs to pay for those parts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:21 pm 

Morgan wrote:
So...tele builders.

This is my first build like this. I sort of thought the pickguard, control plate, bridge, etc. holes would be pre-drilled, but they aren't! :? My current approach is this:

- run some masking tape along the area where the bridge will go,
- measure off 25.5" from the nut/12.75" from the 12th fret, make a line there to center the bridge, (looks like I'll need to do a bit of filling on the pickguard to get there)
- dry fit the bridge plate according to that measurement,
- use all that to fit the pickguard into place and install,
- run a string from the tuners, over the dry-fitted bridge, to the tailpiece to align everything,
- once I get that alignment, install the bridge plate and the bridge body thimbles,
- then install the tailpiece

Any tips on all that? Should I maybe fit the bridge & tailpiece 1st and worry about the pickguard last?

I'm in similar position, Morgan, though several steps further back than you. I've picked up an unfinished tele body (routed for 2 P90s) and I'm now sourcing everything else (on a very tight budget). I'd like to add a B5 clone with a short tele bridge 'adapted' with a Dremel but how I'm going to get everything installed and lined up correctly is certainly taking up a lot of my thoughts lately.

One thing I came across that might be of some use, though I'm not exactly sure how, is Terry Downs tele blueprint (http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/tele_body_drawing_revD.pdf). Printed out to scale it's got to helpful, right? I'm a fish out of water here but I'm enjoying flapping about! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:11 pm 

Only thing I might add is to run both E strings from the tuners to align the bridge assembly...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:13 am 

Was one of the previous owners Polish?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:13 am 

Conantroutman wrote:
Was one of the previous owners Polish?

Huh?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 am 

mmarsh wrote:
Only thing I might add is to run both E strings from the tuners to align the bridge assembly...

I did this with a string wrapped on the low E tuning post, over the bridge, through and around the tailpiece, and back up the neck to the high E string. Marked where the bridge should land at 25.5" from the nut. An issue I'm running into now is that the pickguard needed a bit of filling at the neck pocket to allow the P-90 cutout to move about 1/16th towards the neck pocket, and also the bridge plate is not centered in the pickguard bridge plate cutout when everything is lined up.

I think once I get the P-90 cavity routed, I'm going to install the pickguard first, based on where the neck pickup lands, then align the bridge plate & tailpiece.