Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:43 am 

Howd all!

Im about to assemble a double pedal consisting of a BYOC 27v Booster and a PedalPCB Shred Master clone.

I want to install a mini toggle to enable movement of the Booster to either pre or post.

Soooo...what kind of switch do I need (3pdt on/on?)
and also how do I go about wiring it in?

Thanks!
~Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:52 am 

Yep, On-On 3PDT toggle is what you want. Here's a diagram from Stephen, and you can find lots of examples by searching for the word "flipper" on the forum.

[Edited to remove the image, because it was much harder to follow than the one I posted later in the thread.]

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:12 pm 

Thanks Scott.
Please excuse my ignorance but I cant seem to find any additional diagrams in the forums...the pertinent images and/or links are coming up as "page not found".

If you could be so kind as to break down where those input, output, returns and sends go, from your diagram, that would be most helpful.

Thanks!
~Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:23 pm 

If it helps, the In and Out lugs on the PedalPCB footswitch are 1 and 7, respectively.

Also, lug 2 goes to input tip, lug 8 goes to output tip.

~Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:43 pm 

Sure, no problem. Here is a better diagram. Running to the next thing, but I can explain in more detail a bit later if this doesn't help.

Attachment:
flipper switch diagram.jpeg
flipper switch diagram.jpeg [ 28.69 KiB | Viewed 1387 times ]

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:48 pm 

Ok. I think this makes sense. Correct me if i'm wrong...
Basically, im disconnecting 4 & 8 from the BYOC pcb and rerouting those wires to the switch?

Seems simple enough. I will just have to hop over to the PedalPCB forum and ask how their footswitch lugs pin out, as they are wired a little differently than BYOC's.

Thanks again, Scott!

~Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:16 pm 

Here's the vero layout duhvoodoo man sent me when I started the OCD-SHO build if this helps.

-=SteveO

Attachments:
SHO-OCD_single_vero_layout.jpg
SHO-OCD_single_vero_layout.jpg [ 143.55 KiB | Viewed 1382 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:48 pm 

Thanks SteveO. Man, vero board is over my head....for now...lol. I go cross-eyed just looking at it :lol: :shock:

But thank you, this does answer my previous question.

Now I just have to figure out how to integrate the PedalPCB one.
This is how their FS is wired:

http://imgur.com/gallery/bYrZmUc

~Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:57 pm 

Twilt wrote:
Thanks SteveO. Man, vero board is over my head....for now...lol. I go cross-eyed just looking at it :lol: :shock:

But thank you, this does answer my previous question.

Now I just have to figure out how to integrate the PedalPCB one.
This is how their FS is wired:

http://imgur.com/gallery/bYrZmUc

~Troy

That's a little above my "pay grade" for sure! I'm sure someone in here will be able to assist you.
Veroboards aren't that tough. You just have to count holes vertically and horizontally. :mrgreen:
Oh and keep a sharp eye out for the red squares (trace cuts). Sometimes they hide under components!

-=Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:02 pm 

PedalPCB has some good 3PDT PCB. Maybe one of them could help you sort it out?
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/components/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:28 pm 

PedalPCB uses a little different wiring layout than BYOC, but it does the same thing. You can read about mechanical bypass switching in detail in this excellent thread by Stephen. It may answer some questions and raise others. Definitely helpful for me figuring out what was going on, though.

I provide the link to give you the principles at play. Basically the 3PDT doesn’t turn anything on or off; it merely switches whether the signal goes into the circuit board or bypasses it. The same principles that make it work for a single effect are what make it work as an order flipper.

Anyway, there’s a possibility I’ve made it more confusing, not less. Let me know. :)

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:36 pm 

Haha! Any and all info is always welcome, Scott!
I will certainly read up on that as soon as I am done doodling.

Comparing your 1st diagram with the one I attached from PedalPCB, I "think" I have it figured out.
I am just sketching it out on paper to see if it matches what my brain is telling me...lmao.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:29 pm 

Ok. After stepping away from this for a moment, i think i may be coming at this from the wrong direction.

Instead of trying to adapt the PedalPCB footswitch to work with the BYOC footswitch and Flipper Switch,
I think I will attempt to wire the BYOC style footswitch to the PedalPCB pcb and jacks.

I should have all the parts within a week. Stay tuned :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:39 pm 

Troy, have you seen this???
https://guitarpcb.com/product/easy-orde ... board-led/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:50 pm 

I typed up a bunch of more confusing stuff, but I think it's better to limit it to the following:

The key to making this work for you isn't that both foot switches are wired according to the same scheme, but that the flipper toggle connections are made to the correct lugs of each foot switch. This will likely be easier if they're wired the same way, but there's nothing magical about the switch layout. If it were me, I would wire the PedalPCB effect in the BYOC style, because that is what will match up with the diagram I posted above.

Can you look at this diagram and see what is happening with the signal path both in bypass and effect mode?

If so, then compare it to the PedalPCB diagram and see if you understand how that one's different. If not… well then, why not make it even more confusing with yet another version (but with lots of good explanation) (PDF link)? (I'm determined to make sure you know what's happening with your 3PDTs.) :mrgreen:

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:39 pm 

SteveO wrote:

Hey StevO. As a matter of fact, i did see those. Which led me to this write up: https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/whic ... ained.8244

It's a really good read and really helped me to further understand how their switch is working...which in turn explained how BYOC's switch is working too.

As mentioned above (somewhere lol) both switches do the same thing (obviously), but just two different ways of wiring them.

~Troy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:40 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I typed up a bunch of more confusing stuff, but I think it's better to limit it to the following:...

Scott, I don't know how much that will help Troy, but I just started building a veroboard of the "Earthquaker White Light" and figured out all of the other wiring (on paper) last night and am now down to the 3PTD switch. My job just got a lot easier! Thanks for sharing!
-=SteveO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:07 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
I typed up a bunch of more confusing stuff, but I think it's better to limit it to the following:

The key to making this work for you isn't that both foot switches are wired according to the same scheme, but that the flipper toggle connections are made to the correct lugs of each foot switch. This will likely be easier if they're wired the same way, but there's nothing magical about the switch layout. If it were me, I would wire the PedalPCB effect in the BYOC style, because that is what will match up with the diagram I posted above.

Can you look at this diagram and see what is happening with the signal path both in bypass and effect mode?

If so, then compare it to the PedalPCB diagram and see if you understand how that one's different. If not… well then, why not make it even more confusing with yet another version (but with lots of good explanation) (PDF link)? (I'm determined to make sure you know what's happening with your 3PDTs.) :mrgreen:

Hey Scott. Yup, that is exactly what i came up with too. In order to make it work, or at least easier to wire, i need to have both footswitches wired the same.

With your help as well as others here, i was able to mostly decipher what I needed to do, then I had that VERY DELAYED light bulb moment that said..."this would would be so much easier if the footswitches were wired the same".....duh! [Face to palm] lol.

So now, after shit-ton of reading, I think I've got everything on the up n up.

This has become quite the (welcome) learning experience for something so seemingly simple.

~Troy