Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:31 pm 

Hello, I am new to building pcbs.

I have built a few pedals and all work great so far. A few days ago as I was finishing up putting the diodes into the echo royal a noob question popped into my head.

As I was sorting the transistors I noticed there was one that looked like it had been previously prepared but never used. It got me thinking about needing to test components before I begin the build.

I have read about making sure to not over heat capacitors, diodes, and transistors. And have always counted as I solder and never count past 3 as to not overheat anything.

I was wondering if is is possible to test components inside the completed built circuit.

I have read that you must take the bad component out to test if the diode for example is open closed etc.

If everything seems to be working properly I don't want to take the component out but am curious to see if I overheated and damaged things. Maybe not totally fried but to see if they still have the correct readings post soldering.

Basically I have been looking for a thread on post build testing in general. Looking for the right words to search. Continuity and contact tracing. Learning to follow the schematic on the board. And learning how to test each component post build.

The first few pedals I built were about following the directions and putting the correct components into the correct place. And using the final product.

I didn't even think about testing the component pre or post build until now.

Now I think I am onto the next stage of the learning process of taking the built pedal and going back through following the schematic testing the entire build including each component.

Any information and pointers to previous threads that I have not found is greatly appreciated.

Again my main question is "can I test components such as diodes capacitors and transistors inside the built circuit."

Thank you. I have really enjoyed and learned a lot from this forum.

Attachments:
File comment: I noticed this and thought I better test it.
Transistor.jpg
Transistor.jpg [ 530.75 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:50 pm 

Audio probe!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:20 pm 

Usually not. Once they're "integrated" into the circuit it's difficult to measure their properties.

"Strange, isn't it? One man's life affects so many others." -Clarence in It's A Wonderful Life

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:39 pm 

Thanks! That's what I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:54 pm 

oldlefty wrote:
Usually not. Once they're "integrated" into the circuit it's difficult to measure their properties.

Good advice, in general. There are some exceptions, like measuring DC voltage levels while the pedal is energized or checking forward voltage thresholds on diodes, but for stuff like resistance and capacitance readings, you can't trust your results, mostly due to the very common possibility of parallel circuit paths.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2