Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:22 am 

Yesterday I built the Mimosa kit (sans decorating the box, which is not my long suit) and I believe it is working. However it's quite subtle to my ears (the only other compressors I have used are optical types, which is perhaps the explanation?). In getting it going, however, I stumbled a bit on the "adjust the trimpot to put Q2's source at 1.5 - 1.7 V". When that failed to produce a working compressor I read through 4 or 5 years' worth of Mimosa troubleshooting threads here (though not the Mimosa Jr ones I will confess). I also found some useful discussions from years past on the diystompboxes forum. I found that others have discovered the same sorts of behavior I found.

With Q2(S) at 1.6 or 1.7 V and Blend knob at 100% wet, there was barely any signal coming through. (Others have written "the Blend control is more like a reverse volume control".) Going instead on "adjust it by ear" I found in half a dozen blind trials that tweaking that knob CW past 1.7 V and toward higher Q2(S) just until the overall level was more or less constant throughout the range of the Blend control, the Q2(S) value was always within 0.10 V of 2.80 V. That is also the condition under which the compression effect, though subtle, is most noticeable. Turning the trimpot further CW (--> higher Q2(S) ) increases somewhat the loudness of the wet compared to the dry, and to my ears makes the "effect" become unnoticeable.

(Along the way, I think I was able to confirm what I saw in one of the threads here, that in general the effect-switched-in volume through the pedal matches that of bypassed when the Level control is at about the 2 o'clock position w/r to the usual 7am-to-5pm interpretation.)

I know even less about FETs than about BJTs. But one thing I think I know is that the population of a given type (2N5457 say) may actually show a wide range of some of its parameters when observed in the field. Does it seem reasonable that my particular specimens of 2N5457 include outliers in this way? In "the literature" (BYOC, DIYstompboxes online discussions) there have been plenty of opportunities for others to say that their bias voltage wasn't in the 1.5 - 1.7 V range, and no-one says so, but if a lot of people are setting it "by ear" then they may not know. I don't understand the FET-as-voltage-controlled resistor schemes well enough to know how a spec sheet "typical Vgs" offering (or knowledge of a particular specimen's Vgs(off) ) informs where the sweet spot of operation is. So unless someone recommends otherwise I am not inclined to start rummaging through some alternate 2N5457's--maybe this behavior is normal and there isn't really anything wrong.

Another characteristic I found, mentioned more over at DIYstompboxes than here, is that it's a painfully narrow range of the trimpot setting that runs you through the sweet spot. I could imagine putting a lower-R-value trimpot in series with the 10k trimpot--but don't worry, these are just thought experiments. I will save the surgery for other projects.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:54 am 

I had similar issues with my Mimosa (which I think were actually issues with myself and not the pedal).

I think my main problems were that I was not prepared for how small the increments of movement need to be to really dial in the trim pot, and the setting for mine where it actually worked was almost twice as high as spec and I was not mentally prepared for that amount of variance, so it took me a long time to get there in microscopic increments. If I had this to do over, I'd probably figure out how to get one of those 20-25 turn trim pots in there to spread out the change in resistance over many more turns.

Last edited by chip on Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:04 pm 

I suspect that one of the main factors here is increased part to part variability as the stocks of these through-hole JFETs dwindle. I'm guessing that transistors that might not have been sold a couple of years back due to being outside manufacturing specifications are "flying off the shelves" now.

We'd be happy to look through some photos of your build just to confirm that there's nothing visually amiss. They need to be large, well-focused and well-lit to show the kind of detail (like resistor color band coding) we need to see.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2