Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tayda Drilling Templates
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:29 am 

Hi folks,

Fairly new to the DIY pedal world, I recently built a Shredder from BYOC (https://buildyourownclone.com/products/shredder) without an enclosure hoping to purchase one from Tayda, but as soon as i opened the drilling function I was totally lost. I was curious if there were any compatible drilling templates any of y'all had? Or perhaps their pre-drilled 5 knob enclosure would work? Any guidance is appreciated, not looking to drill it myself.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:00 pm 

Looks to me like this one of BYOC's predrilled enclosures would fit the Shredder, but contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and confirm that before you order it:

You can order from this page: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... redrillenc Get the no bezel version.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:08 pm 

duhvoodooman wrote:
Looks to me like this one of BYOC's predrilled enclosures would fit the Shredder, but contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and confirm that before you order it:

You can order from this page: https://buildyourownclone.com/collectio ... redrillenc Get the no bezel version.

Sorry should've said earlier, was looking for a painted enclosure! I guess I could always paint it myself but would just be much easier if possible.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:34 am 

hoops_mccann wrote:
Sorry should've said earlier, was looking for a painted enclosure! I guess I could always paint it myself but would just be much easier if possible.

Hey, I think you really have to expect that there's going to be some effort involved in this project beyond just the soldering and wiring. There really isn't much to painting an enclosure, and it's definitely easier than hand-drilling one. Suggest that you go somewhere that offers a large selection of "rattle can" spray paints, pick out a color you like, and have at it. From personal experience, I'd suggest that you clean off the outside of the enclosure with (1) some steel wool or other light abrasive to remove the surface oxidation, and (2) wipe it down with paint thinner, naptha, or acetone to remove any surface oils. This should ensure good paint adhesion to the metal and a nice smooth finish. With this procedure, you shouldn't need a primer coat before the finish application. Figure on 3 or 4 light coats (heavy coats tend to run/drip), depending upon how well the color you select covers. And let it dry thoroughly (3 days or so) before doing the final pedal assembly. As far as labeling the controls and any other graphics you wish to apply to the painted enclosure, there are several options from hand labeling to ink stamps, stick-on lettering or decals. And you might want to clear-coat the labeled pedal to lock down the graphics and give it more durability. There are any number of "how to" posts here on the forum that you can find with a bit of searching, and the Show Off Your Completed Build sub-forum has plenty of examples to look at for inspiration.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:37 pm 

Ordering a drilled and painted enclosure from Tayda is pretty straightforward, especially if you know the coordinates of the drill points, as well as the hole sizes. Happy to help if you have any specific questions. Their quality is excellent.