Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 pm 

Greetings, all. I figured I'd stop in here and show off my first effort. It was a fun build and a warmup for a Tweed Deluxe. More to see there once I'm done with some aesthetics.

Since you seem to require gut shots, here's what's inside. I can verify that this is the maximum amount of wire you'll want to stuff into this enclosure.

For the enclosure, I decided to try out electro etching for the first time. Spent just a bit too long in the tub, but it looks pretty industrial and I think it suits. This is 10 minutes of etching, I should have gone for about 6.

Last edited by KeithTanner on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm 

Sorry guys, didn't realize the forum didn't resize pictures. I apologize to those of you without ginormous screens. I'll see if I can sort this out.

(edit) Fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 am 

Excellent first build and kudos to you for going with an etched enclosure on your very first build!
I'm not sure why you think it was in too long though, I think the etch looks great!
I've been curious about electro etching, is there maybe a tutorial someplace that you used?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:21 am 

Another first build with a killer etch. I really need to try etching sometime.

Anyway, excellent build and welcome to the ship!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:37 am 

paulman5 wrote:
Another first build with a killer etch. I really need to try etching sometime.

^This! Beautiful job!

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:16 am 

Thanks!

The etch started to undercut the mask, so the smaller font is a bit fuzzy. I have IN and OUT on the sides, and the latter isn't really all that legible because it went too far. I'm still learning about how the electro etching works, it seems to work faster on small areas so the big Pi doesn't erode as fast as small text. It's also important for the etched surface to be on top, and of course that's not possible when you're doing stuff on three sides of a box. I'll try some different techniques next time.

The end result is kind of appropriate, really :D It's got a rough industrial vibe that suits the pedal. That may have been accidental but I'll take it :D

I'd be happy to do a tutorial on it for this forum if desired. I used this tutorial to get me started. My battery charger is too smart to fall for this sort of thing, so I just hooked it right up to a car battery. Worked a treat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 am 

KeithTanner wrote:
Thanks! The etch started to undercut the mask, so the smaller font is a bit fuzzy... it seems to work faster on small areas so the big Pi doesn't erode as fast as small text.

Yeah, under cutting is often a problem when trying to do a deep chemical etch as well. Its a bit of a balancing act between wanting edge sharpness and depth.
Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I'm pretty happy with the results of my Ferric Chloride etching, but have considered electro-etching. I sometimes have skin and/or sinus reactions to the strong chemicals.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

My decision to try electro etching went like this:

- I don't have any ferric chloride
- I have a couple of spare car batteries and salt

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm 

Awesome work!