Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:57 pm 

Started coming down with authority about 7 PM last night and is just tapering off here in the last half-hour or so. I just came in from snow-blowing with my trusty Ariens blower. About 15", I'd estimate. Driveway looks great right now, but I'm sure the plows will be by for a second pass before long and bury the bottom again. :roll: Man's work is never done....but don't tell my wife I said that. :mrgreen:

Hey, Scott--how much did you guys get out there in the Rochester area? Did you have to cancel services this morning?

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:59 pm 

We got less than the alarmists were expecting. Still pretty much buried, though. A foot in my driveway this morning, and quite a bit more in some spots where the snow drifted.

We would normally not cancel services for weather, but in this case we had scheduled our annual shared service with an area AME church for MLK Sunday, and the parking lot and on-street parking would have been a disaster, plus their pastor was stranded out of state. So yes, I got a very rare Sunday off today. :mrgreen:

Now to hope the Rochester airport is all clear for my midday departure to Denver tomorrow…

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:58 pm 

Truckee is a very snowy town.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2013/04/ ... eathercom/

Being that, we have very good snow removal infrastructure. Even in outrageously huge snow years, like 2 years ago, nothing really shuts down (except the schools; the kids went to school for like 3 days that January).

Meanwhile, Reno lies about a half hour east and a couple thousand feet lower in elevation. They will get hammered once every couple of years and it can unleash chaos. The main roads will get cleaned up okay but man, the secondary roads can just turn into these 2 track, icy death traps for weeks.

How do you guys fair? Do things get cleaned up and return to normal pretty soon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 am 

I live in north eastern Ontario, Canada. It’s -27c and we regularly get a foot of snowfall. That being said we’ve had a pretty good winter. We’re going through a cold spell but we’ve had a great December/January. November was cold with a bunch of snow though. Winters are very unpredictable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am 

Snow removal in Louisville is pretty sad. We get enough snow that the road crews have all of the gear yet not enough that they ever learn how to use it properly. Most of the major roads/streets get the living shit brined out of them as a first step. They'll then try to salt intersections but what that basically means is that there'll be a pile of road salt on one corner of the intersection (where the truck turned on the salt) and the rest of it is a skating rink. Snow removal seems to be aggressively (if ineffectively) pursued east of 15th street and at the city's leisure west of 15th.

Consequently, an inch of snow can just about shut down this city.

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 am 

Morgan wrote:
How do you guys fair? Do things get cleaned up and return to normal pretty soon?

Yeah, snow removal is very good throughout upstate NY, since we regularly get storms like this. The kids would have been in school today if it wasn't MLK Day. About the only places that get problematic are in older residential neighborhoods in the cities where people park on the streets.

P.S. Bitterly cold here today as an Arctic high swept in behind the storm. Sub-zero temps overnight and -25 to -30 windchill today.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:10 pm 

we got stuck at about 39 degrees through the storm. frozen rain, slush, then it ccccold and everything froze. road maintenance is pretty good here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:27 pm 

We are good in Nashville so no worries guys :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:28 am 

TNblueshawk wrote:

:lol:

Heck, we were good here in Pittsburgh, even. A week ahead of it they were saying up to 2 feet which would shut this city down. We ended up with 2-3 inches and then the cold snap. I was kind of hoping for a real good dumping of snow, being that it's my first winter back from Arizona, but no such luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 am 

rnagoda wrote:
TNblueshawk wrote:

:lol:

Heck, we were good here in Pittsburgh, even. A week ahead of it they were saying up to 2 feet which would shut this city down. We ended up with 2-3 inches and then the cold snap. I was kind of hoping for a real good dumping of snow, being that it's my first winter back from Arizona, but no such luck.

Hang in there man. You still have another 5 months of winter there :lol: