Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 pm 

Hi everyone. I am new to all this. I bought this FX52 off Ebay with a bad LED. While I am waiting on an LED and resistor to show up, I decided to remove the center (+) power supply and swap to a center (-) power supply. I must have done something wrong here as the pedal works just fine with the battery clip providing power but not the power supply. As I am typing these words, it hit me that I might just have to swap things around on the center (-) to meet the power supply needs. Any help is appreciated. Mods if this is the wrong place please move it and be gentle, I am fragile.

Attachments:
FGX52 Fuzz insides 2-2.png
FGX52 Fuzz insides 2-2.png [ 810.59 KiB | Viewed 2289 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm 

Check to see if you made this common DC jack wiring error: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52139

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

It looks correct to me. The adapter jack looks correct, but it's hard to tell from the pic what's going on with your input jack. I would have to assume you've got a problem with either the jack itself, the power supply itself, or that white cloth wire just isn't making continuity.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:50 pm 

So I am waiting on parts then I will get back into this. I looked at a similar DOD pedal that I have that uses a center (-) jack. Unfortunately that pedal has the DC power soldered to the PCB so I cannot tell what is wrong/different. Do you think that my trying to swap from a center (+) to a center (-) is the problem? I would think that the leads would be a simple swap but I am thinking nothing here is simple.... at least until you get a level of experience under your belt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:27 pm 

I’m just curious, if it’s a center positive effect, isn’t it going to take more than just switch the color and power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hans914 wrote:
So I am waiting on parts then I will get back into this. I looked at a similar DOD pedal that I have that uses a center (-) jack. Unfortunately that pedal has the DC power soldered to the PCB so I cannot tell what is wrong/different. Do you think that my trying to swap from a center (+) to a center (-) is the problem? I would think that the leads would be a simple swap but I am thinking nothing here is simple.... at least until you get a level of experience under your belt.

No. That's not the problem. It's still a negative ground pedal. They used +center plugs for those because the sleeve of the adapter jack connected to the chassis ground, which needs to be negative. Your adapter jack upgrade is isolated, so it doesn't make a difference.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:43 pm 

jimilee wrote:
I’m just curious, if it’s a center positive effect, isn’t it going to take more than just switch the color and power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am struggling with this as well. I connected the LED and it works on battery but not on power supply. I pulled it back apart and look at all the connections. other than being ugly, they work.