Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:24 pm 

I built the Color Boost for my first pedal last year. I played around with it for a little bit then went on to build several other pedals. I just got it out of the closet and plugged it in and I hear a fizzy crackle sound along with the signal. It's harder to notice at the higher gain settings which is probably one of the reasons why I didn't notice it when I finished it (I think I was pretty much cranking it!). That or can over time something "drift" that would cause this? Anyway, does anyone know what can cause this? What can be done about it?

Attachments:
Color%20Booster%20inside.png
Color%20Booster%20inside.png [ 449.08 KiB | Viewed 2774 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:34 pm 

A pedal that functions correctly at first and then changes later is often the result of subpar soldering. It looks like there might be a few spots where you applied too little solder, but it's really hard to tell from the component side. Could you please upload a photo of the solder side of the board?

My band, Austin Hollow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:59 pm 

That wouldn't be surprising, being my first build. Photo coming soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 pm 

sjaustin wrote:
A pedal that functions correctly at first and then changes later is often the result of subpar soldering. It looks like there might be a few spots where you applied too little solder, but it's really hard to tell from the component side. Could you please upload a photo of the solder side of the board?

Would that include the wires soldered to the output jack? After unscrewing the jack both the connecting wires came off.

However, I am trying to re-solder them and the soldier is having trouble sticking to the sleeve and tip.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:11 pm 

Here are some photos of the solder side

Attachments:
IMG_5247.JPG
IMG_5247.JPG [ 365.74 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]
IMG_5248.JPG
IMG_5248.JPG [ 424.87 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]
IMG_5249.JPG
IMG_5249.JPG [ 431.8 KiB | Viewed 2755 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:53 pm 

joelorigo wrote:
However, I am trying to re-solder them and the soldier is having trouble sticking to the sleeve and tip.

Clean as much of the old solder off of the jack solder tabs as you can (desoldering braid does a great job of this), then use a piece of fine sandpaper to scuff up the surface of the tab. The solder should then adhere well.

My Website * My Musical Gear * My DIY Pedals: Pg.1 - Pg.2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:25 pm 

So, does anyone have any comments on the soldering on the underside of this board?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:37 pm 

joelorigo wrote:
So, does anyone have any comments on the soldering on the underside of this board?

Thanks for the nudge, because yes, I do:

Like many first builds, the soldering quality looks pretty rough. I would work through this process: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52188 And when it says to reflow every solder joint, it means EVERY solder joint, wire connections included. Only takes one bad one to cause such problems.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:53 pm 

Thank you. I will do it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:57 pm 

Be sure to check for stray wire strands, solder bridging between adjacent eyelets (unless they're already connected with a trace), and clip off component leads and wire ends right down to the top of their respective solder joints.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:09 pm 

I started the process of reflowing the solder points. On a few of them, when I touch the iron to the spot, there is something I have never come across. There is a "boiling" of a brownish liquid.

The attached photo is the solder I used on the pedal originally, and this is what I am using now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BG ... UTF8&psc=1

Attachments:
IMG_5250.JPG
IMG_5250.JPG [ 113.81 KiB | Viewed 2721 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:24 pm 

joelorigo wrote:
I started the process of reflowing the solder points. On a few of them, when I touch the iron to the spot, there is something I have never come across. There is a "boiling" of a brownish liquid.

Yeah, that's not that unusual--just residual flux or solder mask that bubbles from the heat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:03 pm 

Happy new year!

I have reflowed all (I think) the solder spots. It still makes the crackle sound. But now I'm hearing that it seems dependent on the gain knob setting. When the gain knob is very low, there is no issue. As I turn up the gain it becomes more of an issue. In the middle-ish area if I play lightly there is no crackle. If I dig in its there. With the gain up high, it's there always. Don't know if this is how it was exactly before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:32 am 

How exactly are you powering the pedal? If you are using a power supply with a "daisy-chain" connector, how many other pedals are connected to it, and what kind are they?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 pm 

I was using a daisy chain with some other pedals connected to it but the guitar signal only going through the pedal. I just tried using a stand alone power supply and it sounds the same as the daisy chain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

joelorigo wrote:
I was using a daisy chain with some other pedals connected to it but the guitar signal only going through the pedal. I just tried using a stand alone power supply and it sounds the same as the daisy chain.

Please try with a battery.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 pm 

Using a battery sounds the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Very hard to say. If you're certain that your soldering is good and your power supply isn't making any noise, I would probably look at the transistors. It's very uncommon for semi-conductors to go bad or degrade once safely in-circuit, but I suppose it's possible. You can contact sales@buildyourownclone.com and request a new set.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:35 pm 

If you're saying that it's rare to have a transistor go bad, it might be more likely that the crackle was there from the beginning. It was my first build. I was so excited that it powered up and worked that I might not have noticed. I then quickly moved on to making more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:23 pm 

Oh, another thought. Could the paint inside the enclosure be causing this? At some point I learned that it is a good idea to have unpainted contact with the enclosure and pots. This one was before that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:23 pm 

Bumping my late addition inquiry about the paint.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:32 pm 

Shouldn't be a factor here because you are grounding the output jack through the PCB and not relying on contact between the enclosure and jack itself. This was really only an issue in some of the older BYOC kits where there wasn't a ground eyelet on the PCB for the output jack's sleeve and the connection had to be made through the enclosure. And even then, it was very difficult to get so much paint on the enclosure, inside and out, that there was no metal-to-metal contact.

The old OD2 kit was one of those without an output jack ground connection to the PCB (see "gut shot" below). I used to sell a lot of these in a modified version I called the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer". I built a total of almost 70 of them, all spray-painted by me. Never had a single instance where the output jack failed to ground through the enclosure.

Attachment:
ZYSMkII_gut.jpg
ZYSMkII_gut.jpg [ 117.11 KiB | Viewed 2652 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:47 pm 

The wire connections to the two I/O jacks look pretty iffy in your first photo--blobby looking, which often means poor solder contact with the substrate. Did you do anything to improve those connections as part of your solder reflow process?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm 

I did. reflowed all of the connections and I replaced 3 of the wires that looked frayed in the connection points.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:34 pm 

I received a new batch of transistors (Thank you!) and am looking for tips to remove the current ones. I used a solder sucker over the 3 spots for one of them and it doesn't seem to be able to remove enough to free the part.