Build Your Own Clone Message Board

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fuzz "gate" setting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:14 pm 

is there a way to add a "gate" knob like in zack vex's fuzz factory?

for the bender, mainly...or the fuzzface too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:24 pm 

I wanna say the trimpot is basically a gate knob. But I'm only 50% sure so wait for the man to comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:20 pm 

naw, the trimmer is cool though...i'm gonna make the trim to be an external pot so i can fool around with the bias. anywho, if you havn't heard it, go to zvex.com and watch the little demo vid for the fuzz factory...it's nuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:37 pm 

the controls in the zvex pedal are all interactive, the bias pot wont do all the super cool things the fuzz factory can do without the other controls.

though a bias pot is super dandy to have

N.O.C.3 Effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:44 pm 

fair enough...now is there some kinda mod that will give a crazy nutzo sorta fuzz setting as if the gate setting in the fuzz factory was opened all the way up? like, maybe switching out some resistors or caps, or adding or subtracting transistors? i might just fool around with some things, but let me know if anyone out there actually knows of some cool fuzz mods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Mikey189er wrote:
fair enough...now is there some kinda mod that will give a crazy nutzo sorta fuzz setting as if the gate setting in the fuzz factory was opened all the way up? like, maybe switching out some resistors or caps, or adding or subtracting transistors? i might just fool around with some things, but let me know if anyone out there actually knows of some cool fuzz mods!

I have never played a fuzzfactory, nor have I seen a schematic. I have heard tale that it is just a fuzz face being goosed in front by an LPB and one of the knobs controls the voltage, which is probably what makes it do all of the craziness.

I saw the insides of it and it definitely looked like it was just what I had heard it was. I made a comment about this and Zachary Vex said I didn't know what I was talking about.

Please do not PM me. email is prefered. keith@buildyourownclone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm 

oh i see....so would it be something like, the craziness comes out as if it were simulating a really dead battery? or does it go deeper than that...i would absolutely love it if maybe you could point me in the right direction to get a more "gated" sound...like i said, maybe like a switch that changes out some resistors or caps or what not...any ideas?...this is extended to anyone who's got an idea, btw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:41 pm 

make a small boost circuit in front of the fuzz... this does that over the top stuff really well. fool around with an audio 5K(ish) pot wired as a variable resistor that connects the power to the circuit that will let you "starve" the pedal for power and will probably give you some gatedness and fun sounds. if you use a value too big there, it wont be useable at all, so try 1k 2k and 5k. i'm guessing 2kA would be good to try first.

i've built a 69 style fuzz, and i've never played through a Zvex but i've gotten very similar sounds by just using a boost in front of my fuzz.

N.O.C.3 Effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:47 pm 

byoc wrote:
I saw the insides of it and it definitely looked like it was just what I had heard it was. I made a comment about this and Zachary Vex said I didn't know what I was talking about.

i would deny it too if i was making that much money off of it.

so you've seen the insides? but no schematic...? dude i would have traced that thing out if i got my hands on one of those overpriced things.

i mean the artwork on the pedals is very nice...but seriously i dont want art to step on!!! give me a plain metal box! even the silk screened boxes are pricey.

N.O.C.3 Effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

yeahyeah wrote:
make a small boost circuit in front of the fuzz... this does that over the top stuff really well. fool around with an audio 5K(ish) pot wired as a variable resistor that connects the power to the circuit that will let you "starve" the pedal for power and will probably give you some gatedness and fun sounds. if you use a value too big there, it wont be useable at all, so try 1k 2k and 5k. i'm guessing 2kA would be good to try first.

i've built a 69 style fuzz, and i've never played through a Zvex but i've gotten very similar sounds by just using a boost in front of my fuzz.

Yeah....add a "voltage sag" knob to your fuzz, just a small value pot like yeahyeah suggested. This will give you the "weirdness".

THen experiment by sticking a boost pedal in front of your fuzz. THis will give you the "over the top" quality. The volume knob on the boost pedal will probably act like the stab knob or what ever it's called.

If you like what you're hearing, stick the boost inside with the fuzz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:02 pm 

byoc wrote:
yeahyeah wrote:

Yeah....add a "voltage sag" knob to your fuzz, just a small value pot like yeahyeah suggested. This will give you the "weirdness".

THen experiment by sticking a boost pedal in front of your fuzz. THis will give you the "over the top" quality. The volume knob on the boost pedal will probably act like the stab knob or what ever it's called.

I didn't even know voltage sag pots exsited, where would I fit in in the board, in the very beggining or somewhere in the middle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:37 pm 

that sounds pretty cool...i think i'll try that one, im not sure whether i should re-do my old byoc fuzzface and try the mod on that, or to do it on my newer bender...were there any drastic changes to the fuzzface clone since march?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quoteman wrote:
byoc wrote:
yeahyeah wrote:

I didn't even know voltage sag pots exsited, where would I fit in in the board, in the very beggining or somewhere in the middle?

You would put it in line with the +9v wire coming off the dc jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:28 pm 

how do you post pictures?

i'll make a schem/diagram

N.O.C.3 Effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:42 am 

oh, that sounds simple enough...so its just like a 2k pot from the power to the board? which one does the middle lug go to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Mikey189er wrote:
oh, that sounds simple enough...so its just like a 2k pot from the power to the board? which one does the middle lug go to?

You connect one end to lug 2 and the other end to just one of the outside lugs. Use lug1 if you want the voltage to go down as you turn clockwise. Lug 3 if you want the voltage to go up when you turn clockwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:54 am 

ok so i've been watching the zvex video of the fuzz factory alot and heres what i think is going on.

comp- goose boost
drive- fuzz
gate- voltage sag...might be similar to contour knob on fuller's 69'?
stability- bias

N.O.C.3 Effects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:32 pm 

that sounds good...i got the bias mod working, so i'm gonna work on the voltage sag mod next and see how that works out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:19 am 

hey people i noticed your thread and thought I'd jumo in as I just finished a fuzz face with all the mods. I did the bias and the voltage as well as the boost . I used a dpdt foot switch for the boost. This is cool as you can have a really straight ahead fuzz sound (with bias and voltage set to 12:00), step on the footswitch and the boost sends it into the nutty gated sounds.

I used to have a fuzz factory and this gets close but without the oscillation . That must be what the boost you all are talking about does.

Love to know what you come up with.

Peace

RK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:58 pm 

I was juse wondering, does the factory have a LPB-1 or a LPB-2 in it?

Edit: After 5min of recearch I have realized how stupid this question is, the only difference is one plugs into your guitar and ones a stompbox.

Edit(again): I was on mouser trying to get a 2N5089 transistor for an LPB I wanna build, which one seems like it's what I have in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:14 pm 

Some thoughts about a "dying battery" feature. When a battery is near dead, it's available voltage is lowered and internal resistance in raised. The battery's behavior is dynamic with the playing-- strike a heavy chord, more voltage is required, the more the voltage drops, especially if the chord is sustained. You can see this effect if you have a battery-powered motor... if battery is low and you put an extra load on the motor, the motor will stop, but will restart after you remove the extra load.

Strapping a pot across V+ will make the available voltage lower, but won't make the drop dynamic.

'course, for a pedal, the current draw might be so low that the dynamic effect is completely minimalized and unnoticable.

At least, that's my understanding. So how do you model this? Um... not sure yet. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

object88 wrote:
Some thoughts about a "dying battery" feature. When a battery is near dead, it's available voltage is lowered and internal resistance in raised. The battery's behavior is dynamic with the playing-- strike a heavy chord, more voltage is required, the more the voltage drops, especially if the chord is sustained. You can see this effect if you have a battery-powered motor... if battery is low and you put an extra load on the motor, the motor will stop, but will restart after you remove the extra load.

Strapping a pot across V+ will make the available voltage lower, but won't make the drop dynamic.

'course, for a pedal, the current draw might be so low that the dynamic effect is completely minimalized and unnoticable.

At least, that's my understanding. So how do you model this? Um... not sure yet. :)

You could make an envelope "voltage sag". Or voltage sag that varies by way of an LFO. Anything is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:33 pm 

ok, so the boost circuit that you would put in front of the fuzz for that gated sound...i really don't know what this circuit is. is there like, a schematic for it, or somethin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:43 pm 

object88 wrote:

I believe the current draw for pedals like a fuzz factory is like 4ma or less, so dynamics isn't really in the picture I don't think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Mikey189er wrote:
ok, so the boost circuit that you would put in front of the fuzz for that gated sound...i really don't know what this circuit is. is there like, a schematic for it, or somethin?

search for LPB or linear power boost. GGG has a schematic.